Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Axle help needed please  (Read 1787 times)

Troberts1904

• Ride It Out
Axle help needed please
« on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:09 »
Hi guys. First a quick intro. Name is Thom, was a very active member many many moons ago when this site was SDH. After a fairly hefty injury have been out of the game for about 7-8 years.
And now to the present.
I'm building myself an Orange 222 and have a bit of an issue that's got me tearing my hair out! The bike belonged to a mate of mine who for one reason or another machined a new rear axle and quite frankly has done a shocking job of it. Where the hell can I get a new one from? From my measuring the overall length needs to be 169 mm. All universal maxles I have seen are 142mm or 150mm any axles of the right length are for 12mm bolt thru to 10mm dropout conversions. I'm really at a loss as this is the only thing stopping me getting the bike finished. The current one I have works but I need to hammer death out of it to get the damned thing out as it's too tight and binds inside the hub! Any help appreciated and sorry mods if this is in the wrong place.
Thom.

[Rob]

• Ride.io
  • Site Admin
  • God Like!
  • Ride.io
    • Check out the home page
Re: Axle help needed please
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:57 »
Hi Thom,

Good to see you back on the bike!

Some 222 frames had a 135mm x 12mm, others had 150mm x 12mm    The way to work it out is to see which BB you have, but judging by the length of your current axle I would assume it's a 150x12mm that you need.

I've pulled the info from here: http://ride.io/forum/index.php?topic=255201.0

Change is good! Ride It Out.

aciddrop616

• Senior
  • i love oranges
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:24 »
No mine is the 135x12 version. If it was the 150 I would be fine as there are tons out there. Even orange don't do them any more!!!! Just to clarify I am Troberts1904 but I remember my old sign on so though I may aswell continue using it. But but to recap rear hub is 135x12 dropout thickness is 17mm so overall axle length needs to be 169mm The 150x12 axles are actually something close to 190mm all in. I know some of the newer oranges are on 142mm rear hubs and run thinner dropouts making me wonder if the axles from them will fit but orange won't give me the specs to work it out!!!! 

Tree's fight back!!!!!

scar4me

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2016, 13:32 »
£15 and you're sorted.
Superstar XL 150mm Axles bolt between 170mm and 180mm widths. (doesn't matter whether it's a 150mm or 13 hub, as it's total width that matters.)
You might just need a few 12mm washers to space it out a bit more worst case.
Superstar link

Only time the above wouldn't fit is if the orange has the driveside dropout threaded.
In which case you have to go oldschool, and use a spanner and some 12mm washers (just to stop it marring the frame when tightening)..
Ebay bolt link

Scar

aciddrop616

• Senior
  • i love oranges
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2016, 02:04 »
Got this sorted now. BIIIIIIIIGGGG shout out to Dale at Orange, he found me an axle and had it cut down to size and posted out to me free!!! Early candidate for legend of the year awards (if it's not a thing it really should be). Thanks for the help though guys. 

Tree's fight back!!!!!

© 2013 Ride It Out