Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parking beside a Byway  (Read 3220 times)

Will of Fortune

• SDH rocks!
Parking beside a Byway
« on: Dec 02, 2013, 21:18 »
So I was riding at Hindhead today, and as usual I drove down the byway or 'quiet lane' as the sign says. When I pulled up next to the start of the trails I found there have been some logs placed where riders normally park, fortunately there was a gap large enough to park in. Just before leaving a couple of guys stopped in a National Trust pick up and told me I should not be parking here as its illegal to park on a byway. I explained that I had been parking here for the previous 3 years with no problem and they claimed they "must have of never seen me before then". Now my question, given that I was not actually parking on the byway but off to the side, is that still illegal. There is plenty of of space for others to pass, and no walkers have ever complained to me about it. I've done some research but found nothing on the subject.

[Rob]

• Ride.io
  • Site Admin
  • God Like!
  • Ride.io
    • Check out the home page
Re: Parking beside a Byway
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2013, 21:25 »
I was under the impression that the deal with being able to ride and still use Hindhead was that you had to use the National Trust carpark.  That was two years ago though, things might have changed?
Change is good! Ride It Out.

Dango

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2014, 16:53 »
I know where the trails are/were but haven't been there in a couple of years is it still rideable?

Will100

• Junior
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:05 »
My understanding is that legally you are fine to park on the byway. In the interests of keeping the peace, if I'm riding there at the weekend and its busy I'll park in the National trust car park. If I'm just popping there for a summer evening sesh it tends to be quiet enough to get away with parking on the byway.

scott fitz

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2015, 16:48 »
If you are parking off the side of the bridleway you are parking on nation trust land. Free carpark: http://binged.it/14pK80I

© 2013 Ride It Out