Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Factory Media Deems Print Officially Dead  (Read 3658 times)

[Rob]

• Ride.io
  • Site Admin
  • God Like!
  • Ride.io
    • Check out the home page
Factory Media Deems Print Officially Dead
« on: Mar 28, 2015, 09:15 »
Recently we heard on the industry vine that Dirt Magazine was to stop in print form.  Although we still have had no official announcement from Factory Media or Dirt, other online publications are now publishing the news stating that Factory Media are to stop all print officially.

http://www.yobeat.com/2015/03/27/factory-media-deems-print-officially-dead/

Quote from: Yobeat link=http://www.yobeat.com/2015/03/27/factory-media-deems-print-officially-dead/
Breaking news from across the pond… Just a few years after turning its websites into general snowboard and sort-of-snowboard-related spam factories, Factory Media (basically the Euro version of our beloved Grind Networks) has announced it will stop printing all its titles, switching them to online only. This includes Whitelines, Cooler, Snowboarder MBM and Onboard, among others. RIP, magazines.

Is this true? Or could it be an elaborate hoax, think The Sun page 3 stunt recently.  Either way, it's already been bringing up a storm of rumours on social networks.

As soon as we at Ride.io catch more, we will update the post.

Change is good! Ride It Out.

Yeti bandit

• Senior
Re: Factory Media Deems Print Officially Dead
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2015, 15:34 »
Shame I love reading a mag, the smell, the flicking though the pages excitedly, buying it especially on journeys but................I can not remember the last time I bought one? and in fact I get most of my info on-line. So maybe it is time to end
-FIGHT WARS NOT WAR--PEACE-

KRON

• Yeah for it!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2015, 18:13 »
Few days too early for April Fools! Shame if true, but guilty of not buying a copy Dirt for years.

Alex @ Racersguild

• God Like!
  • Bike Geek
    • The country's finest free timed practice series
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2015, 20:28 »
I've not bought the magazine for years and I can't say I miss it. At least when they print white text over a light background on an e-version I'll be able to highlight it to read it.

Ass-master

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2015, 21:42 »
Awful magazine.
Good photos aren't enough to prop up utter drivel in the text anymore.

« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2015, 21:55 by Ass-master »

[Rob]

• Ride.io
  • Site Admin
  • God Like!
  • Ride.io

Part time

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • NOT a cyclist.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2015, 10:32 »
I hadn't bought Dirt regularly in years but have bought the last two due to the articles on the history of the downhill bike (a good article I thought. cos i'm old).
Like others have said, it's good for journeys and holidays but that isn't enough to sustain a regular magazine.  It's a real shame, it used to have a great 'feel' to it.
If they are going to concentrate on their web output they have a lot of work to do.  The website is a horrible, garbled mess to naviagate on any sort of device I try to use it on (desktop/tablet or mobile) and very thin on content.  I know they've had trouble with the UCI about what videos they could show and what have you but a few years ago the World Cup coverage was outstanding, now I barely bother checking.
That's my boy!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbAghf504Aw
Norco Six
Intense Pro XL BMX

[Rob]

• Ride.io
  • Site Admin
  • God Like!
  • Ride.io
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2015, 19:32 »
The official words from Dirt:

http://dirtmountainbike.com/news/dirt-magazine-cease-publication.html#

Yeti bandit

• Senior
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2015, 20:21 »
So they doing a fare well issue or just boom stop? shame i've got issue 2 somewhere it would be kinda cool to get the last one too
-FIGHT WARS NOT WAR--PEACE-

Zero Cool

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2015, 20:30 »
That's a big shame as I still enjoyed reading Dirt each month.  The other problem they have is that their website is pretty rubbish nowadays.  It doesn't get updated that often and half the articles don't work with my iPad.

Tom kp 

Tom KP

© 2013 Ride It Out