Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Car Replacement: Mk1 Focus?  (Read 1414 times)

CaptainBudget

• Senior
Car Replacement: Mk1 Focus?
« on: Mar 16, 2014, 20:31 »
Hi

My old faithful Corsa might be on its last legs, so I'm looking at options for replacement. Budget is tight (sub 1k if possible) as the Corsa's been run into the ground. The Corsa is a 1.4L and is reasonable about town but it struggles on Motorways and the regular trips to Aston Hill (struggles with the steep hills). Whatever I replace it with needs to be reliable, not too steep to insure/service and capable of doing the motorway speed limit without embedding my right shoe in the carpet. Needs to do a reasonable MPG in urban areas, as it's being used for commuting as well.

I was looking at a 1.6L Mk1 Focus as I've got a soft spot for them. What do you guys reckon? Is there anything specific to this model I need to watch out for in a service history? Main reason I was looking at Ford is because we've had Fords of various ages and models and they've been the most reliable cars we've had (bar the old MK1 Galaxy my dad had at one stage). I'd go for another Fiesta but they'll be too slow and the local roads not windy enough for the Fiesta's handling to make up for it.

Otherwise can anyone recommend me any other models to look at?

Squirrelking

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Once shot for impersonating a descent-world guru
Re: Car Replacement: Mk1 Focus?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2014, 12:15 »
You looked at the diesel corsas? My 1.7 civic uses the same common rail engine as an admittedly small amount of Corsa Cs, otherwise the later GM 1.7's  should be fine. You'll pay less scene tax than the Civic unless you're lucky and find a 5 door that's a bit rough round the edges. If you can find a Civic then there isn't much to go wrong so long as the electric steering is ok. A few relatively cheap problems that can pop (cranks sensor, brakes binding) up but otherwise they're solid.

CaptainBudget

• Senior
Re: Car Replacement: Mk1 Focus?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2014, 22:12 »
I hadn't considered Civics, but I'll look into them I think. A diesol isn't worth it for me because my commute is too short to justify, and I defo don't want another corsa, Ive had too much trouble with mine andcompared to my old Fiesta it's nowhere near as much fun to drive or live with.

© 2019 Ride It Out