Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BUCS DH Champs 2014  (Read 34601 times)

macdaddy1994

• Ride It Out
Re: BUCS DH Champs 2014
« Reply #60 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:38 »
another 1/2 week goes by with no update once again?

Stop moaning if he has any news we will here about it here first, until then just accept that we are not one of BUCS priorities and that if you want to continue moaning BUCS have their own inbox for that.

DanB25

• Senior
  • Rob Warner - best commentator or best commentator?
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: Mar 12, 2014, 13:14 »
Stop moaning if he has any news we will here about it here first, until then just accept that we are not one of BUCS priorities and that if you want to continue moaning BUCS have their own inbox for that.

You have a point that we are not a priority for BUCS, however that doesn't mean we should just sit back and accept this attitude from them.

I help out with our BUCS Wednesday matches at Bangor, couple of weeks back we had a handful of games cancelled due to weather, every single one was reorganised for the weekend or the following week. It's not that they don't have the manpower or time, they just don't care about Mountain Biking enough to set up our two events.

Our Athletic Union President is on the North West BUCS committee, I will talk to her this week about what this may or may not allow her to do about this.

Otherwise I think we need to set up a petition to let BUCS know how utterly disappointed we are in them and ask them politely to get their s**t together next year. I will happily lead on this, unless there is someone willing with more BUCS MTB specific knowledge than me. Every year it boils down to the same excuse that some people made a fire and upset BC years ago and it just isn't good enough, they are a huge organisation and can do better than this.

Will of Fortune

• SDH rocks!
« Reply #62 on: Mar 13, 2014, 12:19 »
I totally agree, if they are indeed going to give us 8 weeks notice this is getting very close to exam period and is going to be in the middle of when most our coursework is due in. Something definitely needs to be done to let them know we are not happy and things need to be improved.

platt55

« Reply #63 on: Mar 13, 2014, 12:48 »
I also agree. 8 weeks takes you right to the start of exams. No-ones going to turn up if its in exam period so what are they going to do? Have it after exam period?

Either way, the last 3 years I've been a student have all been crap organisation in the run up to the event. I hope they get their act together soon otherwise I think we need to do something about it.

Unofficial races anyone?

kev-roberts

• Junior
« Reply #64 on: Mar 13, 2014, 14:19 »
I also agree. 8 weeks takes you right to the start of exams. No-ones going to turn up if its in exam period so what are they going to do? Have it after exam period?

Either way, the last 3 years I've been a student have all been crap organisation in the run up to the event. I hope they get their act together soon otherwise I think we need to do something about it.

Unofficial races anyone?
the most annoying part is, when it comes down to it, they can actually put on a half decent event, I thought Combe Sydenham was a great event for all involved. At the minute, I'd rather not have 8 weeks notice and have to hurriedly organise transport end entries for a date that was around a month away. Like Will said, 8 weeks takes me personally right up to a lot of deadlines and bordering on exams.

saying that 8 weeks this weekend is the actual start of exams for Bangor.
North Wales -- Giant Glory/Ragley Bagger

jhowlett

« Reply #65 on: Mar 13, 2014, 20:11 »
newcastle exams start in 8 weeks as well so its unlikely we will have anyone attending. last years event was great, just needs to be organised better 

laza10

• Junior
« Reply #66 on: Mar 14, 2014, 00:22 »
8 weeks takes portsmouth near enough to the start of exams... 

what ever happened to the race series someone tried to set up? there was something on facebook but not heard anything for a while... think it was called BUDS (not the skiing comp).

platt55

« Reply #67 on: Mar 14, 2014, 08:22 »
the most annoying part is, when it comes down to it, they can actually put on a half decent event, I thought Combe Sydenham was a great event for all involved. At the minute, I'd rather not have 8 weeks notice and have to hurriedly organise transport end entries for a date that was around a month away. Like Will said, 8 weeks takes me personally right up to a lot of deadlines and bordering on exams.

Don't get me wrong, I love the event just as much as everyone else. Both Rheola and Combe Sydenham were great but the lack of organisation beforehand detracts from it because it's never easy to organise ourselves for it!

what ever happened to the race series someone tried to set up? there was something on facebook but not heard anything for a while... think it was called BUDS (not the skiing comp).

As far as I remember they needed around 2000 people on the page to get it started up. Last time I looked I think it was around 1000-1200.

kev-roberts

• Junior
« Reply #68 on: Mar 14, 2014, 16:15 »

Don't get me wrong, I love the event just as much as everyone else. Both Rheola and Combe Sydenham were great but the lack of organisation beforehand detracts from it because it's never easy to organise ourselves for it!

As far as I remember they needed around 2000 people on the page to get it started up. Last time I looked I think it was around 1000-1200.
Its at like 1200 people now, realistically BUCS draws in what, 300-400 riders per year? they're going to struggle getting 2000 likes. That said, having spoke to Aidan (organiser) briefly I would love to see it get off the ground!

benmc8

« Reply #69 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:27 »
To be honest Im starting to lose hope that its actually even going to go ahead.

ilovedirt99

• God Like!
« Reply #70 on: Mar 19, 2014, 14:23 »
To be honest Im starting to lose hope that its actually even going to go ahead.
Ditto.

macdaddy1994

• Ride It Out
« Reply #71 on: Mar 20, 2014, 12:05 »

You have a point that we are not a priority for BUCS, however that doesn't mean we should just sit back and accept this attitude from them.

I help out with our BUCS Wednesday matches at Bangor, couple of weeks back we had a handful of games cancelled due to weather, every single one was reorganised for the weekend or the following week. It's not that they don't have the manpower or time, they just don't care about Mountain Biking enough to set up our two events.

Our Athletic Union President is on the North West BUCS committee, I will talk to her this week about what this may or may not allow her to do about this.

Otherwise I think we need to set up a petition to let BUCS know how utterly disappointed we are in them and ask them politely to get their s**t together next year. I will happily lead on this, unless there is someone willing with more BUCS MTB specific knowledge than me. Every year it boils down to the same excuse that some people made a fire and upset BC years ago and it just isn't good enough, they are a huge organisation and can do better than this.

Yeah exactly, BUCS have their own inbox for that. This thread is for paddy to give us information on the event, not moan about something thats out of his hands. Hes already said he had the event setup but BUCS couldnt secure uplift.

I obviously agree that its rubbish bucs havent sorted something yet, but knowing they wont be looking here id rather save my breath and email/phone them directly rather than moaning through the rep paddy.

Just my 2C.  I really wish they could have secured the race at dunkeld but now im happy to accept any date in april at any venue rather than a scottish venue.

ilovedirt99

• God Like!
« Reply #72 on: Mar 20, 2014, 13:02 »

Yeah exactly, BUCS have their own inbox for that. This thread is for paddy to give us information on the event, not moan about something thats out of his hands. Hes already said he had the event setup but BUCS couldnt secure uplift.

I obviously agree that its rubbish bucs havent sorted something yet, but knowing they wont be looking here id rather save my breath and email/phone them directly rather than moaning through the rep paddy.

Just my 2C.  I really wish they could have secured the race at dunkeld but now im happy to accept any date in april at any venue rather than a scottish venue.
They do look here, but they clearly don't value our opinions enough to actually bother taking anything on board unless it happens to upset them (for instance the fact that they are completely useless).

kev-roberts

• Junior
« Reply #73 on: Mar 21, 2014, 12:45 »

They do look here, but they clearly don't value our opinions enough to actually bother taking anything on board unless it happens to upset them (for instance the fact that they are completely useless).
Yeah, they definitely do see what gets posted on this thread. I think it was before Combe Sydenham last year one of our guys made a comment about BUCS being useless (wasn't exactly lying was he?) and they sent a screenshot of it to our AU president.

I'm holding little hope of it being in term time but I hope they can at least sort something out for us!

DanB25

• Senior
  • Rob Warner - best commentator or best commentator?
    • Facebook
« Reply #74 on: Mar 21, 2014, 13:16 »

This thread isn't a whinge at Paddy, he's made it clear it's out of his hands earlier, this is our opportunity to get together and say something.

Does anybody have a direct contact for Paddy? I'd like to get in touch with him and hear what he has to say about us as club captains/committees going directly to BUCS and demanding that next year they get their s**t together and give us the treatment that as far as I am aware every single other BUCS sport gets. My point being that they won't listen to us individually, so we need to go to them as a group.

EDIT: As I know only a few people use this forum, I've set up a Facebook group for communication: https://www.facebook.com/groups/282164911942042/ please add any club/MTB captains you know
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2014, 13:28 by DanB25 »

© 2019 Ride It Out