Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PlastiDipping a car... Do I need to inform DVLA and/or insurance?  (Read 3862 times)

mr-sam

• Senior
  • !
I'm hopefully going to be getting a car soon and the chances are I am going to plasti dip it. Which in case you don't know is like a rubber spray paint that you can peel off. So it's basically a vinyl wrap for the price of a few aerosol cans.

Would I need to inform the DVLA and/or my insurance company or not? Seeing as it is only a temporary colour change and the permanent colour wouldn't change?

Cheers
WANTED...
-Angleset for 127mm/5" headtube for IH Sunday
-Thin Saddle... Charge Knife / Funn Skinny RL / Sunline v1 / Selle Italia SLR etc.

Alex @ Racersguild

• God Like!
  • Bike Geek
    • The country's finest free timed practice series
AFAIK you're not required to inform them of a temporary colour change, as they're interested in the colour of the chassis.

However, that usually applies to wraps and stickers rather than plasti-dipping. I'd say you were in a legal grey area that might get you stopped a lot.

KRON

• Yeah for it!!!
MOT time might be an issue, I've had a car fail because the log book said RED and the car was WHITE...

mr-sam

• Senior
  • !
Cheers chaps. I'll email the UK distributor for plasti dip and see what they say. 
WANTED...
-Angleset for 127mm/5" headtube for IH Sunday
-Thin Saddle... Charge Knife / Funn Skinny RL / Sunline v1 / Selle Italia SLR etc.

JohnnyRC2

• I got ninty nine donuts cause a bitch ate one.
Could you let me know what the story is with the plastidipping?
I'd be interested to know as well, as I wanted to do this to my car for a while now but there isn't much law knowledge surrounding it.

chodjinn

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Old Skool Cool
MOT time might be an issue, I've had a car fail because the log book said RED and the car was WHITE...

Lol what a jobsworth!  The colour of the car isn't on the damn mot ... he could easily have checked the chassis number matched.
Hahahaha what a complete nutsack!

© 2019 Ride It Out