Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scottish Downhill Association - This is how we roll  (Read 8194 times)

skintdad

• Junior
Firstly a big thanks for Rob and the guys at RideIO for giving us space on their Forum.  For those of you who haven't heard about the SDA here is some info.

We are a 'not for profit' organisation who organise a 5 event Race Series plus the Scottish Champs at venues throughout Scotland.  We apportion charges to meet our costs with hopefully sufficient for investment in equipment.  Committee are all volunteers, mainly parents of riders past or present.

Race programme is usually;

Friday arrive and set up
Saturday practice all day (9 ish to 5 ish)
Sunday practice am and 2 Timed Race Runs (best time to count)

Medical cover provided by Rescue Medics
Uplift either Chairlift (Fort Bill / Glencoe)
Vehicluar (Bus / Lorry or Mini bus / Trailer)
Push up (normally 1 event per year)

Entry via the BC website with discounts for early registration. 

BC points awarded to Licence Holders
BC approved Commissaires
Camping at most locations
Catering provided
Live Timing (dependant on signal strength)

Whilst the standard of riding is exceptional, we are renowned for a more relaxed and friendly approach to the Series.  Many of our riders compete in World Cups but many just simply meet up with mates to spend time on their bikes. 

Track conditions vary from World Cup Standard (Fort Bill) to the less demanding.  New for 2012 was the enlistment of a couple of Senior Riders to help develop our track lines with first hand riding knowledge.  This exercise was successful and will continue for 2013. 

We look forward to welcoming new faces to the SDA Series in 2013.  Thanks for your time.

If anyone wants to discuss something but does not wish to make it public on this forum then please email me at munrodavid@btconnect.com

Regards

David Munro

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2013, 08:57 by skintdad »

100mphplus

• Immortal
  • Senior
  • Team ticket2ridebc.com / descent-gear.com / Spy Op
Re: Scottish Downhill Association - This is how we roll
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2013, 12:42 »
David,
When is race entry open and is it the usual staged entry in batches of 2 races, or are all of them open at once to get cash flow going?
ta.
Team www.Ticket2rideBC.com / www.descent-gear.com / Spy Optics
Live the Dream!
For a 5% discount on your Ticket2RideBC holiday, enter the code 'T2R01' on your booking form.

skintdad

• Junior
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2013, 14:55 »
100mph

Race entry will go live very shortly via the BC website,  all races will be open.  Sadly the days of queue's forming at 8pm on a Sunday night on the SDA website are long gone; as a direct result of lower numbers attending we've had a right faff with our planning issues. 

When you were full so quick it was easy to plan, book and confirm way in advance; knowing that reserve lists were going to be packed as well.  During 2012 we found that once riders knew there was no rush, then that allowed them to wait until nearer a race date to enter (quite sensibly) in case of injury, broken bikes etc etc.  As a result our day entries were considerable (thankfully) as our margins are tight.

So we plan an incentive for booking early for 2013, details will follow shortly but in essence you could save up to £30 on a whole series if you plan and commit ahead. 

Regards

David 

goose12

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2013, 15:27 »
What are the chances of getting seeded between race run? i remember one year at BUCS it was just a case of a list of first race run results going up on the uplift as a starting list.

skintdad

• Junior
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2013, 16:17 »
We tend to seed on previous years results to start the year, but I appreciate that it is not an exact science.  If during Race Run 1 someone feels that they have been totally mis-allocated it is normal practice for them to speak to the guys at the start (Peter and Colin, Start Comm) to get placed further back.  This has tended to resolve any issues in the past.

Naturally, any rider who feels they have been hampered by a slower rider has recourse via the Chf Comm for a re-run.

In an ideal world we would run Race 2 in the order that Race 1 finished, thereby adding to the drama and excitement of the race.  In reality, we've had 4 red flags, it's getting dark and half the car park have already shot away.

I think we need longer weekends in this Country, on the same money of course.   :P

Betsie

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2013, 20:37 »
Seeding at SDA's has been mint in my experience.
They allow you to change places at the start line if you are there early enough and speak to them nicely.

Not once have I taken them tea and biscuits to say thanks.... bad me.... must correct behaviour this year  ;D
Team Ticket2ridebc.com www.Descent-gear.com

skintdad

• Junior
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2013, 22:18 »
Seeding at SDA's has been mint in my experience.
They allow you to change places at the start line if you are there early enough and speak to them nicely.

Not once have I taken them tea and biscuits to say thanks.... bad me.... must correct behaviour this year  ;D

Betsie, always time to repent your sins.  :laugh:

andypandypuddingnpie

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:57 »
Are the SDA races suitable for extremely average riders, or are they aimed at the more competitive amongst us? This is my first year of committing to racing, so I'm not a particularly fast rider. Looking to enter a couple of your races this year but don't want to be way out of my depth...

orange 225

• Senior
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:06 »
Brill races for all abilities really. I'm an amazingly average rider and still do half decent. The best thing about the sda's though is the atmosphere

skintdad

• Junior
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:21 »
Are the SDA races suitable for extremely average riders, or are they aimed at the more competitive amongst us? This is my first year of committing to racing, so I'm not a particularly fast rider. Looking to enter a couple of your races this year but don't want to be way out of my depth...

Andy, you will find that in each category (except Expert/Elite) there are guys and girls new in the sport, all standards welcome so you won't be out of your depth.  We would however encourage all new riders to get out and practice at their local rides and learn the etiquette of the hills; the faster guys will be encouraging you to move over and let them past. 

Just remember, even Sam Hill started as a novice.

skintdad

• Junior
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:22 »
Brill races for all abilities really. I'm an amazingly average rider and still do half decent. The best thing about the sda's though is the atmosphere

Thank you  ;)

andypandypuddingnpie

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:37 »
Sweet, hoping to do Innerliethen and Ae Forest, looking forward to it even more now!

100mphplus

• Immortal
  • Senior
  • Team ticket2ridebc.com / descent-gear.com / Spy Op
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:44 »
Before entries go live, is there any chance that Rd 5 @ FW could be moved to the w/e before or after?

It currently clashes with the last round of UK Gravity Enduro and from past years there’s a lot of riders who like to do both series.
Team www.Ticket2rideBC.com / www.descent-gear.com / Spy Optics
Live the Dream!
For a 5% discount on your Ticket2RideBC holiday, enter the code 'T2R01' on your booking form.

skintdad

• Junior
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2013, 13:01 »
Before entries go live, is there any chance that Rd 5 @ FW could be moved to the w/e before or after?

It currently clashes with the last round of UK Gravity Enduro and from past years there’s a lot of riders who like to do both series.

Sorry no can do, we have to book Fort William a year in advance; Perhaps we could persuade SP to have his last round at Fort William  :'(

orange 225

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2013, 18:50 »

Thank you  ;)
Tis all true, plus you get a nice wake up call in the mornings. Ill be there again this year with the orange sprinter, helping out far too many people

© 2019 Ride It Out