Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Car Choice Help  (Read 4561 times)

[Veero]

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
    • Southern Downhill
Re: Car Choice Help
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2013, 18:44 »
I had a B5 A4 Avant (so pre-2001 ish and same chassis as that sort of era Passat) and was extremely disappointed by the interior boot volume. With any volume of gear two bikes in the boot quickly becomes a both wheels off both bikes job, not really ideal. My current B6 A4 avant (2004) is somehow much much roomier inside without being massively bigger outside. I can throw my jump bike in with the back seats down with the wheels on, and I reckon I could probably fit the Transition in with both wheels on but have so far always taken the front wheel off, since it's quite a tidy A4 and I don't want tyre prints all over the interior. Two bikes with one wheel each easy, three bikes one wheel off each tricky, four bikes both wheels off all just about fits carefully.

Yes there are legions of <2001 A4 Avant TDis but they're all on +175K miles and they aren't big load luggers, the rear arches really protrude into the boot and kill much of the cavernous potential.

My 99 Subaru Legacy had an absolutely massive boot. 2 downhill bikes in the back with both wheels on and the back seats down, easy peasy. There are plenty of 99 era Legacies around for that money, but the 2L N/A engines aren't all that quick and aren't particularly frugal unless you drive like a granddad. If you can find a GTB for that money it won't be a good one, but bloody hell it flew, however I guess if riding's the main aim, mileage will be high and in the end that's why I sold my GTB.

How about an A6? There should be plenty of pre 2001 TDis around for that money without too astronomical mileage on and they are simply enormous. If you had to go for an older VAG, you can't go far wrong with an A6 provided it's got history and has been cared for.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t.

Betsie

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2013, 19:02 »
Robs done the van thing

Also dispatch is not a car derived van and is about 50 kg over the 2t laden weigh limit so is subject to the lower speed limits

Cheers for that, I always just guessed as it is a small van that I could do 60 just like in a car  :(
Lucky I drive like an al-wifie at 55 most places.
Team Ticket2ridebc.com www.Descent-gear.com

[Rob]

• Ride.io
  • Site Admin
  • God Like!
  • Ride.io
    • Check out the home page
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2013, 19:33 »
Thanks for all the advice.  After all that i found an A3 1.8 Sport just down the road from me silly cheap so went and got that.
Cheers
Change is good! Ride It Out.

infamous aidy

• Immortal
  • lump sat alone in a boggy marsh....
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2013, 20:21 »
rob if you've bought an a3 keep an eye out for the windows stopping working, most vag cars have trouble with the window ecu (yes they have an ecu for the windows) and their not the cheapest things to replace.
i dropped you off at the asylum on a friday, you looked like hell but i said said that you looked ok..................

[Rob]

• Ride.io
  • Site Admin
  • God Like!
  • Ride.io
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2013, 23:17 »
rob if you've bought an a3 keep an eye out for the windows stopping working, most vag cars have trouble with the window ecu (yes they have an ecu for the windows) and their not the cheapest things to replace.
Haha, well i actually got it with one of the windows not working (reflected in the price, it was cheap).  Was thinking about replacing the whole motor etc if that was needed, but tbh if i can't fix it it's no biggy.

Alex @ Racersguild

• God Like!
  • Bike Geek
    • The country's finest free timed practice series
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:53 »
Carefully dies it Rob, easy for a cheap car to suddenly turn expensive...

nwmlarge

• Senior
  • Specialized DEMO
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2013, 13:01 »
warning if the door lock occasionally sticks, get it changed out before it locks solid
that was a disappointing day of no riding bloody knuckles and a whole lot of un planned expense!

[Veero]

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
    • Southern Downhill
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2013, 13:07 »
Yeah A3s are underneath relatively solid, but there is a long list of annoying things which seem to affect a great deal of them plus a few more things which are less common but will be a bit more of a pain. I think I spent the first 5 months discovering minor niggles and fixing things on my S3.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t.

Patriot1

« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2013, 17:05 »
At the end of the day if your only spending 1.5k then spend wisely!, everybody on here will say don't go French, don't go German and whatever else but at the end of the day you could well buy a lemon unless you take somebody with any idea with you. Check reliability and common faults and check all these when you go see! You can't go too far wrong with a focus estate but make sure it's the 1.8 or 2.0 diesel. Like I said though look online for faults, every car has faults just check them.

[Rob]

• Ride.io
  • Site Admin
  • God Like!
  • Ride.io
« Reply #24 on: Mar 19, 2013, 21:38 »
Here is a pic of my A3.  Its a bit of a banger compared to the van i was driving and a bit of a ladies ride really, but i love driving it.  Miss having a van, but i have missed having a car...!

© 2019 Ride It Out