Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Car Choice Help  (Read 4556 times)

[Rob]

• Ride.io
  • Site Admin
  • God Like!
  • Ride.io
    • Check out the home page
Car Choice Help
« on: Jan 05, 2013, 16:48 »
I'm in need of a car, but after drooling over vans for the last few years i hardly know where to start when looking at a car.

I want to get a bike (or two) in the back easily, needs to be roomy.  So an estate is the obvious choice.

Needs to be as cheap as possible really, max budget of about 1.5k 

Things i have looked at so far include Passats & Volvo's.  Also had a peak on ebay at things like Mitsubushi Galant, Subaru Legacy, BMW's and Mercs.

I don't want anything French and want something with a bit of poke.  Got loads of no claims so can get fairly cheap insurance on most vehicles.

Top of the list so far is probally a 1.9 Tdi Passat Estate.

Any suggestions?  Things to avoid?
Change is good! Ride It Out.

Ben Pearson

Re: Car Choice Help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2013, 17:53 »
The best value estate out there (because it's not very desirable) is the Nissan primera, 02-06. Got mine for just under 2k on 50k miles, 60k miles later it's still going beautifully. The 2.2 diesel is supposed to be the best engine.

BIGRICH

« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2013, 18:31 »
I have an 1998 Audi A4 1.9 TDI, mines a saloon and I can tease 55mpg out of it across a full tank.

Its probably the exact same car underneath as the Passat your considering.

They do it in an estate aswell, so you could fit your bikes in. So I would recomend that.

Mine has 200,000 miles on the clock and still runs sweet, nice to drive, plenty of torque - it cant be worth more that 1K

The only thing to watch out for is front suspension ball joints can be a bit problematic

Squirrelking

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Once shot for impersonating a descent-world guru
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2013, 20:28 »
Lancers have 1.9 VAG TDI lumps as well, pretty sure there's an estate version.

Honda Accord, Mondeo (see also Jag X-Type, Ovlov's and whatever else uses that platform and engine).

If you want poke I'd be looking at VAG or PSA diesel (I know you said no French but they do make good engines), you could go Boxer but only if your pockets are deep. With those two as options there's probably a good few cars that would fit your bill.

gtpaul

• Ride It Out
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2013, 20:39 »
Go subaru my 22b is the best car I ever owned and the legacy is also a decent car go for that

iceman8

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2013, 20:55 »
Would second the Audi A4 avant; I have had two (2.6 petrol and 1.9Tdi diesel) and they both have never given me any problems. Reckon you could get a 01/02 plate for your budget however it may have quite a few miles on it. Room wise it is ideal; have had 3 people along with 3 full DH bikes and spares in mine comfortably and get around 55mpg out of it on a regular run.

That said, the Passat is essentially the same car (albeit a little larger, in between the A4 and A6 size) so would again give you very few problems. I looked at Suburas and Volvos but found the servicing/parts cost to be astronomical compared to the VW and Audis, at least around where I live.

[Trail_Rat]

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
  • Never forget your beginner's spirit!
    • Trail-rat endurance racing
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2013, 22:44 »
Why no french ?

Psa diesel engines are one of the best

Vag s**t is over rated . Was not impressed with my golf. Replaced it with a frontera - it mpreases me more . Says it all really - its still a s**t car but better built than the golf - interior doesnt rattle and squeek as you drive for a start

Coupled with very expensive parts and lots of them needed on a car that had a fsh from a known local indy

Glad its gone.

For 1.5k id be lookng at 406 basemodel ( no electrics - good engines crap electrics) estates id also look at bigger petrol engines as they are less popular and dont have dual mass flywheels to worry about.

Most importantly - at that price things invariably will go wrong - parts are unbelievably cheap.

"i dont want to appear unsympathetic but i am so thats how it appears"

[Trail_Rat]

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2013, 22:47 »
How ever to add

I would not look specifically for the car

I would look at anything the right size and engine

Look for service history and genuine reason for sale.

I turned down a legacy gt 2.5 infavour of the frontera ecause it had had a new gearbox , clutch , exhaust and head gasket just weens before selling - ill bet my bottom dollar it was still using water and needing more attention hence sale.

gr3gs87

• Ride It Out
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2013, 23:48 »
The best value estate out there (because it's not very desirable) is the Nissan primera, 02-06. Got mine for just under 2k on 50k miles, 60k miles later it's still going beautifully. The 2.2 diesel is supposed to be the best engine.

Worth noting, I'm pretty sure that 2.2 Diesel lump is a Renault engine. In case your apose to french engine aswell?

Truth be told though the PSA lumps are quite good and quite a few manufacturer's use them. I heard that BMW used PSA engines in the 116d because they dont personally make a Diesel engine that small.

Primera's a good shout with your budget though. As said, can be picked up cheap because they are unpopular, but still boast around 138bhp so a decent bit of poke to boot too.

[Trail_Rat]

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:07 »
The 2.2 in the primeras not a psa engine unfortunantly. Its a re-tweeked nissan design. Iirc wasnt regarded as a very good engine before the tweeks  - look into it - i recall hgf being common on them.

The 1.6 quashqui is a psa engine though i know that.

Amaizing how many engines/chassis  are shared across platforms

Transit engines in the new land rovers

Isuzu engines in hondas/ vauxhalls

Psa diesels in everything

But its no different to the rv8 being put into most rover varients since beginning of time.

Alex @ Racersguild

• God Like!
  • Bike Geek
    • The country's finest free timed practice series
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:43 »
The ford TDCI lumps are all essentially PSA (and end up in Volvos, Mazdas, Jags, Landrovers) but Nissan shares with Renault rather than PSA. The only PSA engine in use after 97 was a 3litre V6 used in the Clio. The 1.6 on the cashcow is Renault/Nissan.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a Nissan with a poo stick. The cheapo electrics are not becoming of a japanese car.

Personally though, given what you're going to do to it, I'd put myself in the best 5 series estate I could afford.

[Rob]

• Ride.io
  • Site Admin
  • God Like!
  • Ride.io
    • Check out the home page
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2013, 19:55 »
Cheers guys.

Why no french ?
Mainly because every vehicle i have ever owned has been French, would like to have something different.

I have just been to look at an Audi A4 Avant 1.9 tdi estate.  S Reg with 139k on the clock.  Liked it actually so might be a goer.
Change is good! Ride It Out.

[Trail_Rat]

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2013, 20:36 »
Ok just be sure to keep on top of maitainance and be prepared for shock prices at the garage with audi.

Fwiw i wouldnt touch a ford tdci with a poo stick bolted on  Ancillarys are garbage.

Betsie

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2013, 20:46 »
We have a French car Pug 307 HDI (bike fits in whole), German car Golf GT TDi (bike does not fit in, front wings rust) and a van Cit Dispatch.

I love my dispatch 40 something mpg, she was £1300, I changed the 3 seats down to 2, fitted a telly, rotating front seat, loads of insulation and bought some ply from my local builders merchants.
That took me to your budget. Nothing beats watching telly for 20 mins mid day whilst enjoying some cuscus and a cuppa.

Lower bulkhead has now gone and she is about ready for the next stage in the race van makeover.
Being small, you can still do 60 on a normal road.
Team Ticket2ridebc.com www.Descent-gear.com

[Trail_Rat]

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2013, 05:59 »
Robs done the van thing

Also dispatch is not a car derived van and is about 50 kg over the 2t laden weigh limit so is subject to the lower speed limits

© 2019 Ride It Out