Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: On a budget  (Read 5344 times)

SimonB

On a budget
« on: Nov 22, 2012, 00:38 »
Hi guys and girls,

I have scouted the forum but I can't find an exact answer to the question buzzing in my head...what tips do people have to get fit/stronger WITHOUT spending loads of money on equipment, shakes or gym memberships?

Here's my situation...

I am a 20 year old apprentice working at Rolls Royce in Derby / Hucknall but I live in Grantham so it's about 80 mile round trip at the moment so a lot of my earnings are on car insurance, diesel e.t.c plus board, food and other bills. What little money is left is being saved for a house deposit in the future so there is little money left, to the point where I can't even fix my brakes on my bike >:( that means I can't use that to get fit! I have a weight lifting bench and dumbells but I don't know what exercises to do on them.

So is there any advice you could give? I just want to get healthier because I do a lot of sitting / standing at work and commuting.

Thanks

Simon

So

Fastlane

• MTB Company
  • Senior
  • EX-Official SDH Papperazzi
    • www.mudfockers.co.uk
Re: On a budget
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2012, 01:08 »

elmo20

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2012, 11:15 »
In terms of fitness having a road bike has always helped me, you can ride in a silly high gear to build strength or just do long rides for stamina - maybe when the weather improves a bit once a week do the commute? They're a relatively cheap alternative to the gym and you can get a decent second hand roadie for £100 if you have that.

SimonB

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2012, 11:37 »
Loads here buddy.
http://ride.io/forum/index.php/topic,147547.0.html

cheers mate ill look it up

In terms of fitness having a road bike has always helped me, you can ride in a silly high gear to build strength or just do long rides for stamina - maybe when the weather improves a bit once a week do the commute? They're a relatively cheap alternative to the gym and you can get a decent second hand roadie for £100 if you have that.

I would, but I'm on shifts so I already leave my house at 5:30 to get there for 6:30 on mornings and I finish at 10:00 on afternoon shift and get home at 11:00. cycling is just not practical

nwmlarge

• Senior
  • Specialized DEMO
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2012, 23:26 »
have you considered riding part of the way to and from work ?

i often drive ten miles then ride the last 16 in to work and vice-versa at the end of the day.

time on a bike is the best way to prepare for more time on the bike.

it may mean adapting your route slightly to accommodate for motorways or dual carriage ways but will be worth while.

xiphon

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • A southerner oop north!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2012, 15:48 »
Since commuting to work by pedal, I've noticed a HUGE difference when riding at the weekends.

I think being stuck in the "zero exercise during the week, physically knackered at the weekend" is surprisingly common :(

So if you can, consider the drive/ride split.
I love citrus fruit!

SimonB

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2012, 17:56 »
have you considered riding part of the way to and from work ?

i often drive ten miles then ride the last 16 in to work and vice-versa at the end of the day.

time on a bike is the best way to prepare for more time on the bike.

it may mean adapting your route slightly to accommodate for motorways or dual carriage ways but will be worth while.

no I hadn't considered it, but I'll look into it for when I got a bit more money for a road bike / singlespeed. It makes sense what you're saying though  :)

xiphon

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2012, 18:34 »
You can pick up a cheap road bike for £50 on Gumtree/eBay, which you'd quickly make back in saved fuel.

My weekly fuel bill (dropping my wife off at work too, and collecting her) was about £70-80 per week.

Now we both cycle to work...  (I know you can't ride the whole way, but every little helps!)
I love citrus fruit!

SimonB

« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2012, 19:58 »
You pay about the same as me then mate.

I'm saving up for a fixie (groan as people do) but some of my friends have them and I've put a few miles in and you could say i'm hooked ;)

Loki

« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:49 »
fixed gear is cheap. and quite a bit of fun. been commuting 10miles a day on one. only thing you gotta watch out for is your knees. glasgowfixedgear.com got load of info, or lfgss.

SimonB

« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2012, 13:12 »
Thanks, another reason for getting one is me and my friends are planning to go London to Paris on fixed gear and end up in Paris for last stage of the tour. Interesting challenge!

Also, what's your gear ratio for that mileage?
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2012, 13:14 by SimonB »

xiphon

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2012, 15:52 »
I ran 42/16 on my Spesh Langster (stock ratio).
I love citrus fruit!

mhailo

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2012, 19:25 »
If you have no access to free weights, then do some callisthenics - which is solely body weight movements, usually involving some sort of bar (best option is often in a playground/park where there's different heights). Chin ups, pull ups, push ups, hand stand shoulder press, dips, chest dips, calf/donkey raises, hyper extensions, muscle ups, squats, power jumps, lunges - there's loadsssss

Ok damn just seen you do have some free weights.. Heavy compound movements. Squats, deadlift variations, bench press, military press, rows etc. This is stuff you can google, but start light, get the form down then go up. Check out starting strength/strong lifts.

SimonB

« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2012, 22:14 »
sound about what my friends ride.

thanks mhailo that's just what I needed. I knew what to do cardio wise it was just the resistance I was blurry on.

Loki

« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:34 »
any decent cyclist is going to spin like hell on 42x16. plus not very skid friendly due to reduced skid patches. for that mileage i ran 48x16 but to be more skid friendly, its better to run 47 x16. prime numbers are awesome!

© 2019 Ride It Out