Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What kind of injuries have you had in mountain biking? - product design project  (Read 8852 times)

gumball

• Senior
I am currently doing one of my major projects for my third year at university. The aim of the project is to make mountain biking safer by designing protection that can be worn comfortably at all times.

Could you please state below your injury and how it happened?

This will help me decide which area of the body to focus on for my project and understand which injuries occur more commonly in the sport. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Adam
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2012, 19:02 by Adam T »

ilovedirt99

• God Like!
Serious injuries, minor ones or both? I've got a list as long as my arm of all the various injuries I've had...

trailfairy1

• Senior
Over the bars - broken collar bone.
Ditched the bike mid air in France and tried to roll it out, ended up with broken radius and ulna and a broken wrist with a nackered back due to the speed I was traveling.
Those are the serious injuries obviously with nocks and bruises from smaller crashes.
check out my new and updated Flickr, Comments and criticisms welcome.
http://www.flickr.com/trailfairy

2manygears no idea

• go on... go on... *tooo slow* arrgh!!!
Compressed vertebra, twice.. Full facer saved me there

Cracked ribs, at least 6 times.

Dislocated finger... Never worn clips since

Ruptured artery in armpit ( handlebars) major operation needed

Shins... Oh god... My shins... Dented the bone a few times ( losing pedals on gap jumps etc)

Elbow scuffs a plenty

FWIW the lite TLD vests are a great idea for me, they stop the bike trying to enter my rib cage and arnt too hot to push up in when riding in the UK.
Broken ribs, vertebrae and ego.... not bad for a days riding....

gumball

• Senior
thanks for the replies!
looking more into major injuries than minor but anything is helpful.
I'm trying to design something that covers an area that can be improved, for example the over extension of joints.

thanks adam
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2012, 19:11 by Adam T »

Yeti bandit

• Senior
Two memorable injuries,

Over the bars after coming into a jump with too much speed, landed in the solid berm just after the jump (about half way down the old hopton track at the second fire road) result snapped ac joint, fractured elbow and 3 broken ribs.

Clipped a pedal on a rock section sent me over the bars into the rock and i hit my elbow on a rock, result the rock cut right though to the bone (didnt have any armor on), i needed 3-5 stiches and my elbow hurt to this day.

apart from the its the usual scrapes, bruises and cuts
-FIGHT WARS NOT WAR--PEACE-

identitizack16

• Senior
    • Zack Pollard - For Sale
Full list to date:

1. Crashed at Bournemouth BMX, broke my face. (2 teeth, massive hole in lip, broken cheek bone.
2. Broken wrist - wheelied down a road and crashed hard OTB as a brick was in the road
3. Broken metacarpal (hand bone?) - doing a line I'd done millions of times before wasn't paying attention and went over the side, didn't land well.
4. Broken legs, broken other wrist - 6 months in bed, very uncomfortable. Hit a tree.

Other than those, being the main ones I've had various others, tendon damage, grazes, pedals into the shins (I really don't miss flat pedals!) etc.

Shall forever be known as the one who hates paypal!

elmo20

Apologies in advance if anyone's squeamish

Ruptured ACL - Looped out of a wheelie and landed awkwardly snapping the ligament in two

Broken elbow/ulna - Clipped a bollard with my pedal and went OTB smashing my elbow on the floor when I landed. Got plates in there now

Dislocated ankle - Foot got caught the wrong side of a landing and got twisted off

Broken femur - Fractured end of my femur in the above crash when my knee hit the ground. Was wearing pads though.

Good luck with the project

identitizack16

• Senior
    • Zack Pollard - For Sale
Shall forever be known as the one who hates paypal!

elmo20

Cheers, I try :D MBUK gave me shoes for it. Knee is worse injury long term though, 2 surgeries before I was 20 and now it's pretty ruined!
Crap wasting a summer in bed though as I guess you did as well?

Betsie

• Senior
Injuries:
Broken Collar bone (plated)
Broken Sternum
Broken ribs (a few times)
Punctured lung
Broken left pinky
Broken left ring finger (top joint no longer works)
Broken right thumb (rolondo fracture, k-pinned)
Broken right pinky
Broken right middle finger
Dislocated right ring finger
Dislocated left thumb (2nd carpal)
Broken right arm (plated)
Broken right arm (plated, 2nd time)
Broken right arm (both bones this time)
Broken right arm
Chipped right elbow
Broken right toes (3 of them).
One suspected broken bone that I did not get checked out.... was paralysed for a few seconds until I shook my head... did not want to know.

That will do for now...

I don't crash often, but when I do, it tends to be a hard one!
Call me Mr Glass  :P

Team Ticket2ridebc.com www.Descent-gear.com

Chazz

• Senior
Broken Knuckle,
Broken Wrist,
Broken Femur,

are the main ones, but I've had a lot of bruising to my thighs as well, generally from going over the bars, but I don't think I'd wear anything to protect these areas though, in less it was really comfortable!

Charlie

If your not living on the edge your taking up too much room

nwmlarge

• Senior
  • Specialized DEMO
i know its not on par with most of these but i often scuff my hip/side when i crash which is really annoying
no pressure suits seem to have a hem that stays down.

Ermm

• God Like!
obvious grazes and bruises but most serious is my knees, every now and then i twist them or hit them some way that hurts a bit but soon as i take my shin/knee pads of at end of day feels like my knee/s (depending on whats hit if any) sort of collapse and can sometimes struggle to walk properly for couple days after.

2manygears no idea

• go on... go on... *tooo slow* arrgh!!!
Injuries:
Broken Collar bone (plated)
Broken Sternum
Broken ribs (a few times)
Punctured lung
Broken left pinky
Broken left ring finger (top joint no longer works)
Broken right thumb (rolondo fracture, k-pinned)
Broken right pinky
Broken right middle finger
Dislocated right ring finger
Dislocated left thumb (2nd carpal)
Broken right arm (plated)
Broken right arm (plated, 2nd time)
Broken right arm (both bones this time)
Broken right arm
Chipped right elbow
Broken right toes (3 of them).
One suspected broken bone that I did not get checked out.... was paralysed for a few seconds until I shook my head... did not want to know.

That will do for now...

I don't crash often, but when I do, it tends to be a hard one!
Call me Mr Glass  :P

Bloody hell!!!

Broken ribs, vertebrae and ego.... not bad for a days riding....

© 2019 Ride It Out