Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radius and Ulna  (Read 3401 times)

trailfairy1

• Senior
Radius and Ulna
« on: Oct 18, 2012, 01:09 »
Hi Guys, looking for a little bit of information here, I managed to break both my radius and ulna in a crash in France, I have had both bones plated which was left in a case for two weeks before being removed to start with physio as the metal would hold the bones together while they healed. That was 10-12 weeks ago roughly now, I have had full movement back in the arm for around 8-10 weeks, I have broken 10 bones already in the past including radius in the other arm and a plated collar bone, I was wondering if anyone had any real life experience of a similar break and how long the recovery time is going to take, the doc is suggesting between 6 months and a year from now still and to return to the hospital in March next year for my next check up.

Thanks for your time

Tom.
check out my new and updated Flickr, Comments and criticisms welcome.
http://www.flickr.com/trailfairy

yetihenry

• God Like!
Re: Radius and Ulna
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2012, 01:37 »
I broke both my radius and ulnar in a crash in 2009. I had a non-displaced fracture in my ulna and displaced/crushed about an inch of my radius. I had 2 plates put in, had to wear a temporary cast which was removed almost immediately and then I couldn't use it properly for about 4months. After around 4 months I was able to use it properly and lift weight. NHS physio was a joke, I completed what I should have done in 4 months in the first session and apparently have a very high pain threshold, but basically it was set up for pensioners. Just need to keep stretching as much as you can, palm flat on the desk and tilt your arm up until you can start getting a decent range of motion. 3 years later and it is still my weaker wrist.

I'm sure I had a topic about it, can't find it but when I was searching I posted about it a few times and saw your name a lot! You seem to be about as unlucky as me, I broke my 2nd and 3rd metertarsal on Friday and also need my fingers and my toes to count all my breaks!

trailfairy1

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2012, 23:33 »
Thanks, I did have full range of movement back in the arm within 4 weeks of the operation which was apparently on of the quickest turn arounds they've seen, I had the arm working again before my first physio appointment, I guess it's just a long waiting game until the bones have grown back togther, on the xray on tuesday the gap between the bones has closed, yet the break is still clearly visable hence the doc saying another 6-12 months until it's strong enough to ride again. Must admit breaking bones is getting a little tiresome now!

trailfairy1

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2013, 16:39 »
here's some photos, eventually got around to posting them.

yetihenry

• God Like!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2013, 18:45 »
Looks like yours was a lot higher than mine, got similar length plates and scars but they start right at my wrist.

Are you back on a bike yet?

trailfairy1

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2013, 23:30 »
Back in hospital 3 weeks today to find out whether they bones have healed or whether I need a bone graft, I'm hoping it's the former, I've been out on the road bike and got back full use of the arm now to the point where it doesn't bother me that much now and I use it for things without even thinking about it, can't wait to get back on the bike!

© 2019 Ride It Out