Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ankle Surgery, any one had this done?  (Read 2444 times)

DaveM

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Do I Make My Self Clear!!
Ankle Surgery, any one had this done?
« on: Jul 19, 2012, 15:29 »
hi guys,

Due to a crash at rogate about 6 years ago resulting in a broken ankle I have now been told I have 2 snapped ligaments in my ankle which is why it sprinas on a monthly basis, i've attached a photo and the ones i;ve snapped are the 'Anteriou Talofibular' and the 'Calcaneo-Fibular' which means there is nothing to stop my ankle sp[riaing and partially dislocating if it goes to far (apprently)

I have been told its 2 weeks in a case, then either a further 4 weeks in a cast or 4 weeks with a plastic boot, i'm on the list so should be happening before the end of the year.

so has any one has this surgery or similar? any advice on preporation on the fitness side, or advice on getting going again after the boot / cast is off?

Cheers

Dave

dirtdemon

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • www.bucksmtb.co.uk
Re: Ankle Surgery, any one had this done?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2012, 18:48 »
Hi dave,

What are planing on doing surgery wise, if you can get into a air cast walker post op as no muscle wasting in them.

Will be plenty of physio post op to build strengthen back up. As for revovery time ask your surgeon. Are you having it at QA?

Those ligaments are weak in the first place, if you are going to snap some, snap the lateral ones (the ones you have) snappign the medial ligaments is not good news.

Post op, decent footwear and orthoses (insoles) and doing what the physio says will help.

Nick

DaveM

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Do I Make My Self Clear!!
Re: Ankle Surgery, any one had this done?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2012, 19:57 »
Hi mate, thanks for the reply,

Since my post I've had a MRI on it, and they are stretched not snapped which is good, so will be having my surgery before Xmas apparently, not date yet, will be a cast for 2 weeks then a boot for 4.

Yes mate having it at QA

Dave

© 2019 Ride It Out