Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help with asthma  (Read 2765 times)

haydn

• Senior
  • shouldn't you be riding
help with asthma
« on: Jul 21, 2012, 01:10 »
I recently bought a track bike to help me get fitter but since I have been riding it on a few longer rides I've been having mild asthma attacks every 4 or so miles if I'm pushing it over 25mph. I've always been able to control them before and its never been a problem when mountain biking but it's getting to be a real issue now.

I always stop and I can control them after a few minutes but its annoying, so what I was wondering does anyone have any advice on exercises for strengthening your lungs or just general tips on what they do?
Just working on my general fitness should help but thats what I'm trying to do and all this isn't helping.

I've never been dependent on my inhaler and I don't want to start but I might have to if it doesn't get better. I'm going to go see my doc tomorrow about it but he's pretty fat and I'm not sure what he will say about exercises, me might give me some random quick fix drug.

Much appreciated
Haydn
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2012, 01:18 by haydn »

Rob.

• God Like!
Re: help with asthma
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2012, 17:30 »
Its not about muscle strength.

Generally you have too much dopamine/histamine floating around in there causing the broncho-spasms that affect your exchange of gases.

Many things could cause this, iron deficiency, iron excess, hay fever, histamine intolerance, eating something your allergic too, various anemias - the list rolls on.

You best bet is probably just to try and live a healthy lifestyle and hope your body sorts itself out.

haydn

• Senior
  • shouldn't you be riding
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2012, 20:47 »
i think i might have something to do with the fact that i've just moved from plymouth to newport and the air quality here is shocking, and now that its hot my hay fever is acting up as well

I've been working on controlling it and it is worse if i breathe through my mouth which i knew anyway, but i did 30k today just breathing through my nose and it really helped, general fitness will always make it better anyway, Time to start going to the gym again i suppose.   

dirtdemon

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • www.bucksmtb.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2012, 18:56 »
I have exercise induced asthma and currently take symbicort inhalers and montelukast tablets a leukotriene receptor antagonists.

I went to my GP with the Asthma gudelines.

http://www.brit-thoracic.org.uk/Portals/0/Guidelines/AsthmaGuidelines/qrg101%202011.pdf

Hope that helps

Nick

© 2019 Ride It Out