Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bikes, tests, etc / FAO Rootes - Update Page 3  (Read 7249 times)

RoyalWithCheez

• Senior
Re: Bikes, tests, etc / FAO Rootes
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2011, 13:03 »
Round here (don't know if it's a nationwide scheme too) you can book a session to ride with a police rider for a half day or however long it is and get loads of feedback and advice. It's free as well IIRC.

GavinD

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2011, 14:27 »
Round here (don't know if it's a nationwide scheme too) you can book a session to ride with a police rider for a half day or however long it is and get loads of feedback and advice. It's free as well IIRC.

ace idea on their behalf as we are starting to see more police bikers who really enjoy biking as a hobby too, and doing this thing really raises their profile.

I was followed by a police camera bike and then we watched the footage back at the ranch with him making comments, and at times we were going quite quick as he said it was important to ride how you normally would (within reason).
Why are drugs bad - well if you took the 'e' out of Exeter you're left with XTR!

Rumplefunkskin

• Junior
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2011, 17:37 »

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/

Just find your local force and follow the links through. Absolutely worth every second. Free advice of this quality is a rare thing these days, so fill your boots.

Alex @ Racersguild

• God Like!
  • Bike Geek
    • The country's finest free timed practice series
« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2011, 21:30 »
Well,

My CBT is booked for the 13th April. I'm looking into buying a fazer 600 (Just been Cat C'd by a friend, bent forks and smashed fairing).

Once my CBT's done, I'll need to get kit. I've not felt this clueless since I bought the landrover! I love it :D

Rootes

• God Like!
    • Rootes Racing
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2011, 21:39 »
Haha, it's an experience isn't it!

If you end up needing 1 piece leathers look at www.arc-on.co.uk

That's what I went for, cheap, really well fitting and good quality kit.  Custom colours for free too.  Actually, have a look at them anyway.  They've increased their range a lot.  And the service was second to none.

Rootes

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2011, 21:43 by Rootes »
Motorcycle website
http://www.wix.com/danrootes/rootesracing

Have a quick peek at what I'm getting up to with engines in the 2011 season.

Jack

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Jack army
« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2011, 22:55 »
I think for general riding, and the odd track day 1 piece leathers would suck..I got 2 piece bks leathers, they are very good, comfortable and well fitted. Wish i hadn't gone for white thou!

As for buying a bike I can emphasize enough how important it is to try before you make your mind up and see a few, the cat C might seem like a good deal now but you will have crap re sell value and at the end of the day its a 600 fazer, theres loads of cheap none cat c ones about as they are pretty standard...

I went for a vfr nc30 for my first, I should of tried one before getting my mind set on one..It's waaay to small. I love it, the noise it makes and the v4 torque and handling but I can do about an hour and a half's riding at a time before I need to stop/take my legs off the pegs.., having said that I keep up with my friends 600's and a 748 the other day so the old dogs still got some legs!

if you want something a bit fast and less lazy than the hornet/fazer/bandit check out a cbr f or even a cbr fs engines got a bit more go and handling is a lot better, they are less racey 'sport' 600's so the angles/position on the bike would make it good for longer trips commuting too. Put it this way, my friends ridden a ninja, a gixer and owns a daytona t595, hes also ridden a cbr fs. He rated it alot higher than the other 600, interms of power and handling and alot more comfortable, he had nothing but good to say about it.

As for the tests, the mod 1 &2 idea for me was good, meant all the maneuvers were in a non trafficy place on a nice level well tarmac'd area, choose your school carefully to ensure they have access to a place to practice it throughout your DAS, most of the whingers and the crashers hardly had any practice IIRC. Also makes the mod 2 alot easier cause you just have to ride..
doing it wrong since 1986

Alex @ Racersguild

• God Like!
  • Bike Geek
« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2011, 00:36 »
Right now, I think the fazer will fit the bill, as I've not yet sold my landrover and I've got my new 3 series to pay for every month.

The criteria for whatever bike I get is that it has to be very cheap and has to do a fairly decent MPG. There's no point me buying a bike to go to work on that does 30-40mpg tops, because my car does 45ish even if I rag the tits off it. Which I do.

Equally, I don't want something that's unusable over a distance, beginner unfriendly or 2 stroke. Or whiney.

Kit wise, I'll probably get textiles for now.

Marshall

• Senior
    • Isle of Man Downhill
« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2011, 08:41 »
Is that Mian's bike you're getting?

Alex @ Racersguild

• God Like!
  • Bike Geek
« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2011, 08:53 »
Yeah. Already had a play on it last summer.

It's OK. And will have a new front end :)

GavinD

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:13 »

It's OK. And will have a new front end :)

Sounds ominous?
Why are drugs bad - well if you took the 'e' out of Exeter you're left with XTR!

Alex @ Racersguild

• God Like!
  • Bike Geek
« Reply #25 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:22 »
It needs new forks+fairing following an encounter with a illegally u-turning taxi in London. Mian got away with bruised plums, so it can't have been that big a bump.

Marshall

• Senior
    • Isle of Man Downhill
« Reply #26 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:24 »
It'll give you something to tinker with anyways.

Alex @ Racersguild

• God Like!
  • Bike Geek
« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:27 »
True. I'm gonna miss my meccano kit.

GavinD

• Senior
« Reply #28 on: Mar 28, 2011, 10:03 »
As long as the frame is straight, I dropped my Hornet 600 and it was written off as the frame was bent  :-\

That was from just dropping it on the drive!

Alex @ Racersguild

• God Like!
  • Bike Geek
« Reply #29 on: Apr 13, 2011, 21:46 »
CBT: Complete

Amount of money needed to be spent on lessons/tests: Considerable.

© 2019 Ride It Out