Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wrist / Hand pump  (Read 2480 times)

• Senior
Wrist / Hand pump
« on: Jun 07, 2010, 10:45 »
I get it quite bad, going to Morzine for a couple of weeks and would rather it wasn't a big problem.

What sort of training tool or even just exercise can I buy / do to help me?

Power ball - will that help? Says in the advert upper arm strength but should help wrists?

What about for fingers? Anything?

Thanks,

Olli

(Did a search, couldn't find anything)

psyick

• Senior
Re: Wrist / Hand pump
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2010, 10:56 »
Powerballs a pretty good, or buy a moto x grip trainer - it's a rubber ring you squeeze and is only about a fiver.

Try some softer grips and running your brake levers closer to the bar too.

Dirtsac

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2010, 19:09 »
Powerballs are good, but a squash ball is cheaper and you can do it in your pocket with each finger. Just be careful in public becuase you can look very odd. :P
Mother nature made it, so go out and ride it

littledavehedgehog

• Junior
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2010, 19:52 »
Squash ball is an option, but you can use elastic bands too.Just hold your hand with all your finger tips touching your thumb, wrap the elastic band around them and then slowly spread and close your fingers again. You only spread your fingers so far and for more resistance just use more elastic bands.
This is a technique I was taught by a physio to help rebuild some strength in my hand after breaking fingers.

stubacca

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2010, 23:05 »
Play with brake lever placement a bit, know plenty of people found a bit tweak from your normal set up can help on the bigger tracks. Alot of it is in the head as nmuch as the arms too.

iridebicycles

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2010, 23:42 »
As said above, have a fiddle with brake lever position. Depending on different tracks you'll want the lever in a different position, so if you're on a steeper track you'll want the levers at a different angle to if you are on a flatter track. Also try rolling the bars backwards/forwards in the stem as this will change hand/arm position which may help reduce arm pump.

pinned91

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2010, 17:53 »
I used Sunline Thick Grips this year and i found they helped out with hand pump.

kirby46

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2010, 10:12 »
i just come back from morzine and i had quite slim grips on my bike. for me that was my downfall. i fitted some fatter odi grips, nice and soft and found it much better. also just being tense can cause arm pump. suspension being too hard also. and try to let off the brakes if u can. all these things will help.

Scout

• scouttingforparts
  • MTB Company
  • God Like!
  • Scout it. Buy it. Ride it.
    • Used Bike Parts
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2010, 02:03 »
Man up!  ;) No, seriously, have your brake levers setup correctly; not too far out! Many racers take a couple of Asprin before they ride. I believe it thins your blood which reduces the build up of lactic acids which is the cause of so said 'arm and hand pump'..

:)

jivehoneyjive

• Senior
  • Fully paid up on the pleasure/pain balance.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2010, 11:10 »
Tyre pressures can make a big difference- switching to tubeless so you don't get pinch flats from lower pressures can help.

Also, experiment with rubber spacers/shims on your stem bolts and interfaces to help damp vibration... similar principles to these

http://www.rg3suspension.com/tripleclamp.htm

Sam Davies

• Senior
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/samdaviesphotography/
« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2010, 12:44 »
As mentioned before, don't hold your grips really hard.I was told that having a tense hold on your grip means that when you hit bumps there's more of an 'impact' on your muscles.

© 2019 Ride It Out