Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yeti DH9- any good?  (Read 6829 times)

Duane...

• God Like!
    • HeliTape
Yeti DH9- any good?
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 17:37 »
Hi all,

Basically my mate has the opportunity to swap his Commencal Abosolut frame (plus stock rear wheel) and Pike 426s for a guys Yeti DH9 frame (with Tfed Manipoo Swinger 4 way (or something)), and Manipoo Travis fork (and possibly some £s).

Here it is;

Firstly, anything to look out for on the frame/fork/ Any weak welds/links etc? Dodgy bearings or anything?
What about the fork- weak arch/pinch bolt area etc?

Secondly, is the fork actually a Travis?

Thirdly, roughly what is the going rate for DH9s and Travis' now-a-days?

Ta, Duane :)

doubledragon2d
Re: Yeti DH9- any good?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 17:41 »
that is a travis up front

brownie biker

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 17:44 »
isn't that a fairly slack head angle? the white spring looks prety sweet

doubledragon2d
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009, 17:47 »
head angle looks fine for a dh bike, if the travis are tpc damped they should be ok

Yeti bandit

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009, 17:47 »
frames are good and built like brick sh#t house, ive had one and loved it, it eats anything you though at it but there not exactly nimble

one thing to watch out for is the mech hanger as there non-replacable
-FIGHT WARS NOT WAR--PEACE-

[Orge]

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
  • "We can't stop here - this is bat country!!"
    • Ninjas are mammals
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009, 18:11 »
Mech hanger non replaceable, but there is a fix should you thread it, is easy too.

Those forks crack at the pinch bolt area - watch out.

Frames crack on the seat tube/brace welds - again watch out.

Bearings in the floating brake arm are dire, not the end of the world if they are knackered though.

Pretty slack bikes and not the lightest but good build quality and seem to ride quite nice if that's your thing, very long mind.

Orge.
Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour Tour

Yeti bandit

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2009, 18:14 »
very long mind.

seconded not exactly the best bike for tight switchbacks
-FIGHT WARS NOT WAR--PEACE-

Super-P

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2009, 18:21 »
Ive owned a DH9, and unless you are riding big tracks regularly or planning season in the Alps then they are pretty much over kill for the UK, due to the long wheel base, and a slack headangle.  But they do ride amazingly well on really rough tracks.  Mine cruised thru the rock garden at Gethin with ease and prob soaked it up better than my sunday.  Build quality is mint, but check the bearings all over the frame.  I had the bearings replaced in my frame and Razorrock rear hub, and if I remember correctly there was a total of 19 bearings!

Check the elliptical shock mount as they have a habit of cracking there, and as said the mech hanger is non replaceable, and there are no spare chainstays left as far as Im aware.

Also I would not reccommend running a DH9 with any fork over 170mm travel, as they were designed around Manitou Dorado forks, and anything over 170mm makes an already slack frame, really slack.

Also your mate should try and get the rear wheel as part of the deal, as the DH9 has a 20mm bolt thru on the rear, which needs a modified Hope Bulb or Goldtech draco hub to work, or the standard Razorrock 20mm hub.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2009, 18:24 by Super-P »

cookeaa

• Senior
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2009, 22:03 »
I absolutely loved my DH9...

But as was already said it was pretty much overkill for 90% of what I used it for, you could plow through rocks and roots, but it was long and cornering was not always bob on, it would benefit from a lighter build to help sling it about through corners, and you basically have to stick to 170mm forks it is a slack frame (even for a DH bike) and when it was last produced (5 Years ago now) 7" was about standard for DH forks...

BB felt quite low to me as well, I did catch the odd pedal, some people like that, others don't...

Duane...

• God Like!
    • HeliTape
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2009, 13:40 »
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

To be honest, my mate doesnt plan to even build the bike up, but swap it and then sell it (hopefully for more than he could sell his Commy and Pikes for). Reckon thats going to happen?

The guy says theyre 07 Travises?

Poops

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2009, 14:04 »
Cracked pinch bolts on the frame aren't an issue.  Most of them will have this problem.

The razor rock hub/20mm rear axel in a massive ball ache as you can't get parts anymore, so you're forced to endure BETD's customer service (took them 1 month the build the wheel wrong hub and another month to correct this).

Changing bearings takes a fair bit of time...there's a lot!

As for the rear end...my mate has a spare! So they're not quite extinct yet!!  ;)
Whistler 2008 - 15th June til 29th!

Ass-master

« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2009, 14:39 »
I had one of them a few years ago.
It ended up covered in cracks - literally all over it.
Worst ones were on the upper swingarm pivot on the front triangle.

BUT at the time I knew quite a few people with Yeti's and they were all cracked, some even worse and NONE of them ever actually snapped.  I know thats not exactly encouraging, but I wouldn't panick too much about a couple of cracks.

Jim Marples sold a Yeti tubular Lawwill 8 with a counted total of 42 cracks and it got ridden for another year at least.

As for the ride, they are as people here said very long and slack and the adjustment chuck thing makes very little difference, but on big gnarly tracks they rule.  Not very progressive at the back so they tend to bottom out really harshly (which is probably why they crack).

The 20mm rear hubs are TOSS and its best to get a BETD conversion axle (or make your own) so you can run standard 12mm through axle hubs.  The brake arm is a bit of a pain to get the wheel in and out of, but it does work.  There are a lot of bearings, but they are all totally standard sizes (apart from the brake arm pair) so its not massively costly to change them

Cloverleaf

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2009, 15:39 »
The 20mm rear hubs are TOSS and its best to get a BETD conversion axle (or make your own) so you can run standard 12mm through axle hubs.  The brake arm is a bit of a pain to get the wheel in and out of, but it does work.  There are a lot of bearings, but they are all totally standard sizes (apart from the brake arm pair) so its not massively costly to change them

The 20mm hubs were a Razorrock conversion which needed a specific cassette lockring too.  Original factory supplied hubs were usually 12mm Edco hubs which weren't much, if any, better.

Col @ FLi

• FLi Distribution / www.mtb-direct.co.uk
  • MTB Company
  • God Like!
  • DH Rocks!
    • http://www.flidistribution.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2009, 15:50 »
close Ali.

The Edco ones were 15mm.

the frames came with 3 options.

1) 20mm Razor Rock
2) 15mm Hadley
3) 15mm Edco

and of the 20 or so frames we had the edcos were actually the best.

but over time we got them all converted with the BETD axle so we could run Hope or Goldtec 12x135mm hubs.

the new FLi Distribution is here - shop with us, and the order is passed to your local dealer to supply.

Cloverleaf

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2009, 16:41 »
Bugger...I don't like it when I'm wrong!  I was thinking there was something odd with them but couldn't remember what it was.  I seem to remember the RR hubs needing quite frequent maintenance to keep it all running smoothly.  Also an issue now with the RR hubs is that they ceased trading a good few years ago.

© 2013 Ride It Out