Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paul's bulking up tips.  (Read 85059 times)

joe brierley

Re: Paul's bulking up tips.
« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2008, 17:23 »
Thanks for all the adice Paul. It spurred me on to hit the weights hard. Now my arms ache loads lol
A old friend of mine who used to box said that I can put of lots of muscle just doing 3 main excercises with a barbell. He said to do 3 lots of 12 of:
- military lifts
- arm curls
- and the rowing type exercise

is this balloney? can i really bulk up just doing these 3?

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
  • Previously known as Chilled76
« Reply #31 on: Mar 26, 2008, 17:26 »
Thanks for all the adice Paul. It spurred me on to hit the weights hard. Now my arms ache loads lol
A old friend of mine who used to box said that I can put of lots of muscle just doing 3 main excercises with a barbell. He said to do 3 lots of 12 of:
- military lifts
- arm curls

Not brilliant advice.

If I could do three exercises only to bulk up it would be

Squats
Chins
Benchpress

I'd like to add Military press if I was allowed a fourth.

If you're not falling off, you're not getting faster!

joe brierley

« Reply #32 on: Mar 26, 2008, 17:34 »
thanks for the honest advice Paul.
I currently only use dumbells due to not living at my own place at the mo and lack of room.

I'l start doing squats when my legs fixed (broke it 2 months ago)

Is a bench essential for doing bench presses? probably a silly question, but im lacking in room for one at the mo

Thanks for the advice

Joe

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #33 on: Mar 26, 2008, 17:47 »
Well yer it is essential,

You could do them on the floor but it would only be partial reps and you would have to try and get the weight over you without a stand??

Your better doing press ups than partial light bench presses.

Press ups work really well for developing your chest (especially if you have limited equipment)

You can do them flat or with feet raised, you can vary your hand spacing and use dumbells as stands for your hands to make you further from the floor to allow a greater range of motion

I'd advice a mix of both flat and feet raised with quite a wide grip.

By raising your feet you hit your upper chest and by keeping your grip wide your chest develops wider.

A wide high chest looks a hell of a lot better than a low narrow one.

Paul

Rippler

• Junior
« Reply #34 on: Mar 26, 2008, 18:38 »
a bed is always handy for bench pressing!! there is no other way of building up chest really  :-\ im not a fan of bench press anyway as i find it hard to notice improvments but you have to stick at it an keep doing them else you end up looking a bit silly with hoooge abs and no chest lol good luck!
Lol, She's a dog, not that i don't like oriental girls 'cos i do, it's just she's a wide faced be

topheR

« Reply #35 on: Mar 26, 2008, 18:52 »
I'm currently having to use an abs board which is raised on it's own legs at one end and the other is on my bed, seems to work ok for lightish weights.

joe brierley

« Reply #36 on: Mar 28, 2008, 23:35 »
- military lifts
- arm curls

Not brilliant advice.

If I could do three exercises only to bulk up it would be

Squats
Chins
Benchpress

I'd like to add Military press if I was allowed a fourth.

Thanks for the advice Paul.

I think i'll do a squats, chins, and press ups then (with my raised press up handles), and some militarys

whats the main advantage of doing militarys when i'll be doing chins anyway? id imagine im using the same muscles?

Should I do chins and press ups like weights by counting to two seconds on the way up and two on the way down. should my arms be directly above shoulders on pull ups?

thanks!
i'll be writing up a plan of what im gonna do so i stick to it

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 29, 2008, 15:39 »
No Military press's are using your shoulders. (mostly front head of your deltoids)

Chins work all your back and the rear of your shoulders.

Paul

strafer

• Junior
« Reply #38 on: Mar 29, 2008, 17:20 »
No Military press's are using your shoulders. (mostly front head of your deltoids)

Chins work all your back and the rear of your shoulders.

Paul

Or to put it another way - chins are the vertical pull, and militaries the vertical push. They are antagonist movements, think Newton's third law of motion "for every action there's an equal opposite reaction". The antagonist movement for the bench-press would be the row (bent over with a barbell for instance), these two movements are the horizontal push/pulls. A good basic routine would be the vertical & horizontal push/pulls, plus deadlifting (for hamstrings, back, grip etc) and squatting.

For instance:

Chins (vertical pull)
Overhead Press (vertical push)
Bench (horizontal push)
Bent over Row (horizontal pull)
Close stance back or front Squat (quad dominant)
Sumo Deadlift (hamstring/hip dominant)

As these are all compound movements, they'll hit your whole body, no need for pointless sit-ups or any other crap - your core is involved in all these movements as a stabilizer (especially in squatting and deadlifting, the 2 best core building exercises).

Things I would avoid are upright rows (bad for the rotator cuffs) - doing horizontal and vertical push movements on the same day (also stressful for the shoulders). Machines, avoid avoid avoid - stick to the free weights. Machines force your body into an unnatural path, you can get injured doing any kind of lifting but you're more likely to get injured using a machine. Also if you're doing squats or deadlifts - FORM FORM FORM!!! Read up on these exercises. The squat is especially difficult to master. It requires a lot of flexibility in the hips and hamstrings - dont let your lower back round as you drop down!

joe brierley

« Reply #39 on: Mar 29, 2008, 19:31 »
thanks for the advice everyone !!!!!!!!!  ;D

joe brierley

« Reply #40 on: Apr 01, 2008, 13:17 »
why isnt the dumbbell curl recommended as an exercise???? thats the one ive usually focused on the most!!!

ive got my pressup handle thingys out. theyre easily twice as hard now when i lower myself so much lower than before. how long should i take over these and chins? count to two on way up and way down??????/

thanks!!!Joe

Hairyb

• God Like!
« Reply #41 on: Apr 01, 2008, 14:00 »
why isnt the dumbbell curl recommended as an exercise???? thats the one ive usually focused on the most!!!

Cause compound movements are best, dumbell curls are only really using your biceps.

joe brierley

« Reply #42 on: Apr 01, 2008, 14:22 »
thanks

i cant do squats for a few weeks as my leg too weak at the mo tho so think i'll keep doing the dumbell curls till then. my forearms are getting tiny!! but i dont know how to get em big just sitting down

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #43 on: Apr 01, 2008, 21:35 »
thanks

i cant do squats for a few weeks as my leg too weak at the mo tho so think i'll keep doing the dumbell curls till then. my forearms are getting tiny!! but i dont know how to get em big just sitting down

Try

www.redtube.com  ;)

Sorry ...you asked for that one  :D

joe brierley

« Reply #44 on: Apr 01, 2008, 23:31 »
thanks for that! never heard of that site before lol

im feeling the benfits of it already. started doing 12 kg curls  and could barely do ten now two lots of 12 is easy then another ten
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2008, 23:34 by joe brierley »

© 2019 Ride It Out