Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paul's bulking up tips.  (Read 84947 times)

DeadTom

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Fo' Grizzle
    • biketart.com
Re: Paul's bulking up tips.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2008, 13:02 »
so all the manly men puttin' them away at the boozer are in fact making themselves less manly by drinking more?
need more Evil in your life?  www.biketart.com

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
  • Previously known as Chilled76
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2008, 13:12 »
so all the manly men puttin' them away at the boozer are in fact making themselves less manly by drinking more?

Ever noticed that the guy in the corner of the pub who can drink 20 pints... has got tits?  ;)
If you're not falling off, you're not getting faster!

strafer

• Junior
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2008, 16:09 »

Ever noticed that the guy in the corner of the pub who can drink 20 pints... has got tits?  ;)

Yep, your estrogen levels get raised. Woman parts & reduced muscle mass are just some of the benefits of excessive alcohol. So next time a mate calls you a "woman" for not getting into town for a belly full, explain to him just how wrong he is!

Rokin

• Senior
  • Fat, unskilled and proud.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 29, 2008, 23:46 »
Quite a good book to read as a guide to what you're doing to yourself with specific exercises is Maran Illustrated's 'Weight Training' which I picked up from WHSmiths for about 15 quid. It covers all the dos and don'ts as far as exercising goes, and has diagrams highlighting muscles used. It also covers nutrition and other factors involved in training, and I would recommed it from what I've learned through reading it.

NB- I'm not taking anything away from Paul's training tips, as he certainly knows what he's talking about, but found this a pretty good read to compliment my Dad's training advice, (still benching 140KG at 58!)

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2008, 20:08 »
I see this has been stickied....cheers whoever did that.

Paul

merlin

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2008, 17:30 »
sound advice chilled, i followed this kinda routine when i was younger, it worked to a certain extent, but i didnt put on much mass, no matter what i did. must just be one of those people.

but, how could i go around fitting everything like this around work and a family? any routines you can do at home without the use of a gym.

DeadTom

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Fo' Grizzle
    • biketart.com
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2008, 22:30 »
i think we need a test subject to post pics periodlically so we can see how its going :)
need more Evil in your life?  www.biketart.com

duck

• Senior
  • Pumping Up, Pumping Iron!!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2008, 17:45 »
sound advice chilled, i followed this kinda routine when i was younger, it worked to a certain extent, but i didnt put on much mass, no matter what i did. must just be one of those people.

but, how could i go around fitting everything like this around work and a family? any routines you can do at home without the use of a gym.

its all about genetics too, some people are born with the ability to gain muscle and some cant do it no matter how hard they train.

ive been a gym user for 4-5 years for rugby at a highish level, and ive been lifting more than the meatheads even though they appear to be so massive to the eye, but they are muscley with fat too. i have no fat cos of a high metabolism but have the muscles there even though they appear smaller (that sounds big headed! sorry!  :-[ ). im 6ft tall and approx 12 and half stone with a BMI of 22, and im happy as larry with that. im benching 30kg dumbells each, 100kg olympic bar press, bicep curling 22.5kg each and triceps are the strongest of the lot! (that sounds even more big headed!! Sorry!!!   :-[ :-[ ).

ive also tried every protein supplement in the book, as well as creatine, zinc, healthy diets, 240g+ protein a day, but no matter what i did i couldnt gain muscle mass, i just got stronger, so at the end of the day i just said to myself, "im stronger than the meatheads so will be stronger in rugby, so its best to eat 5 a-day and keep fit and fast, cos those meatheads probably cant run very fast!" and i was happy with that.

i got really pi**ed off with the fact i couldnt gain muscle but at the end of the day as long as you are happy with who you are then it doesnt matter, you are born with certain genetics, metabolism and frame structure and there is no changing that, so the sooner you accept your body the sooner you'll be happy with the results from the gym (most women dont like meatheads anyway! how many girls do you know prefer Arnie to brad pitt in snatch??!)

my routine is the same as Paul's pretty much, i seperate my days into muscle groups, e.g. monday - bicep, tuesday - tricep, wednesday - shoulders, thursday - back, friday - chest, weekend - rest and a ride. i also do a half hour hill climb cardio ride in the gym on every other day. rest and diet is the key, and being a uni student i cant afford to eat amazingly but i have multivits and eat alot of meat, fibre, fruit and veg, and i find this helps way more than protein shakes for a person with my genetics.

i hope this helps those people who struggle with weight gain, as i know for some its not as easy for others.

cheers, John
A termite walks into a bar and asks, "is the bartender here?"

(i'll give you a second to think....)

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2008, 17:50 »
Genetics hinders you in bulking sometimes....you just have to eat more and be stricter with not missing food if you are a hard gainer.

It's not all about protein it's about overall calorific intake. There comes a point when your body simply can't burn it all of no matter how high your metabolic rate...then you will start gaining weight.

I was 9 stone at 5ft10 and looked gaunt when I started lifting at 17, I just couldn't bulk up.... until I started eating 8 times a day and 4000 calories +. then it pilled on very quickly.

Paul
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2008, 17:53 by chilled76 »

duck

• Senior
  • Pumping Up, Pumping Iron!!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2008, 21:09 »
did you gain the right kind of weight though when eating 4000+ calories a day?

how much do you weigh now? and how old are you?
A termite walks into a bar and asks, "is the bartender here?"

(i'll give you a second to think....)

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2008, 14:30 »
did you gain the right kind of weight though when eating 4000+ calories a day?

how much do you weigh now? and how old are you?

I reched 14.5 stone with slightly viasble abs (so not super lean). The key is finding the amount of calories you need to stop your metabolism from preventing you fom gaining weight but not overdoing it so that you gain a too much excess fat.

I've been out the gym for ages now due to injurys to my shoulders soft tissue caused by going over my bars....I have recently got back in though and will be posting a 10 week transformation series of pictures.

Mark and al off of here saw me in France last year about a year after I had stopped training and....well I'll let them tell you what sort of size I was even after a year out of the gym.

I'm 25 now.

One thing....it doesn't happen over night.

Paul

strafer

• Junior
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2008, 15:48 »
Yes, the hard-gainer thing is no excuse. Sure, some people find it harder to gain weight due to metabolic factors, but anyone can gain weight. The rule is - if you're hungry, eat - if you're not hungry - eat. The funny thing is, if you actually become really commited to gaining muscle, you realize that training is the easy part - eating all the time is what will completely demoralise you and make you want to quit.

like paul says, it's not all about protein - you need it to grow muscle, but fats and carbs are just as important to the process. The cleaner the better. And you will need plenty of fibre if you're eating like a horse - better to get most of that from fruit and veg (of course they have their own benifits too). But if you're going on a big bulk, you will gain some excess fat - even if you get your calorie intake bang-on. But if you had trouble adding weight in the first place, losing a bit of fat will be easy when you're ready to stop bulking. Here's a good weight gainer bar recipe:

about 1 jar of (maybe a bit less, experiment) of honey.
2 jars of peanut butter (about 340gm ones).
1 tall glass of rolled oats (bit less than a pint).
1 tall glass of whey protein (Same again, about 6 scoops).

Take a big pan, throw in the honey and peanut butter, heat gently and stir until it all mixes together, gradually add the whey and oats and keep mixing. Once it's all mixed, give it a min or 2 to heat some more (constantly moving it to stop it burning) and then place in a big tray and flatten down, cut into sections and let dry. Takes about 10 mins to make.

If you're trying to bulk up muscle, these bars are basically a meal you can store and eat in 5 mins. (For me it's my between breakfast and lunch meal with a cup of tea at work). They're very convinent. Natural peanut butter has better fats and less additives, well sourced honey has less contaniments, but these bars are still relatively healthy if you do it with cheap stuff (compared to a mars bar and a bag of crisps that is).

They're much nicer and cheaper than bought ones. You can get 8 fair sized bars from the above ingredients. each with about 40gms of protein (add more whey to adjust, but you may need to add olive oil to stop them being too dry) - plenty of good mono-unsaturated fats, some fibre and carbs. Plus P.butter is full of magnesium which helps your bones absorb calcium thereby making them stronger. A good mineral to have in your body. Strong bones are always good in our sport.

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2008, 16:52 »
Sound advice from Strafer there.....better than £3 a time for a protein bar too!!!

Strafer. How long do those home made bars keep for?

Paul

strafer

• Junior
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2008, 19:02 »
Sound advice from Strafer there.....better than £3 a time for a protein bar too!!!

Strafer. How long do those home made bars keep for?

Paul

Sealed, they're fine for a week - probably longer, they're always gone within that space of time so I dont know. They keep well.

Rippler

• Junior
« Reply #29 on: Mar 22, 2008, 22:21 »
some good advice there  :P

Ive been a gym user for near 2 years now as i work in a leisure center..

Ive try ed all sorts of supplements and no matter what Ive found it hard to put on weight i had some anti depressants when i was younger which made me drop from 11 stone at about 5'9 to 8-9 stone due to making me virtually belimic (sp?) only in the last year have i put the weight back on I'm now 6'1 11 1/2 stone and fat percentage is about 8%..

if people are serious about the gym i recomend creatine and mass protein this give me the most weight gane in the gym with a low carb diet, the creatine gives you the will power to keep training even without carbs and protein helps build the muscle.

((WARNING)) don't take creatine if you cant consume more than 3 liters of water a day as it can cause liver problems!!

i try and make sure i do 2 muscle groups at a time e.g abs and triceps or biceps and chest.

after doing all your workout just before you leave the gym do a few leg exercises.. being the biggest muscles in your body after working on your legs it realises a lot of testosterone which will help your top half a hell of a lot.

always do your warm ups cooldowns and stretches else your regret it in later life!!!

good luck  ;)

Lol, She's a dog, not that i don't like oriental girls 'cos i do, it's just she's a wide faced be

© 2019 Ride It Out