Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What happend to KeeWee bikes?  (Read 42611 times)

orangesrule

• God Like!
  • BOH!
Re: What happend to KeeWee bikes?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2008, 18:28 »
Thats what i intatially thought, but then chris@RHUK said they were taking action against them.

bob

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2008, 19:25 »
I have been trying to get hold of another cromo8. Even been trying Aus and NZ ebay
Shaun - Kiwis seem to favour http://www.trademe.co.nz rather than the 'Bay.  (still, no Chromo8s on there, it's mainly Stealths)

Daddy Snoops

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Off The Ricta
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2008, 13:18 »
Cheers Bob :), think I got one sorted.

How are you doing anyway?

bob

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2008, 20:54 »
Cheers Bob :), think I got one sorted.

How are you doing anyway?
Oh I'm all good, apart from being back in the UK...  :'(  I got sent a load of pics of us riding the DH at Coronet Peak near Queenstown today and I'm back in mourning!
But I shall be at Gethin on the 9th...
How's you?

Daddy Snoops

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Off The Ricta
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2008, 13:37 »
Ah so someones being having lots of fun then! I want to to an odd race this season, Abercarn and Cearsws I think are the ones I will try get done.

Im good thanks, knee is giving me more jip than before my op though :/. Sold the DH bike in April and am riding MX now, so much more riding for the same money! Looking for a DH bike though as Im looking at going to France in the summer, may take the MX bike to and ride some tracks on the way there and back

Topshelf

• Topshelf Components
  • MTB Company
  • God Like!
  • Not falling off? Not trying hard enough then!
    • Topshelf Components
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2008, 14:00 »
You're all basically right, the cromo Keewe's just didn't sell all that well, at least not in enough quantity for them to keep producing them, too many people thinking they would be heavy just cos they were steel.

It all comes down to money I'm afraid, it costs a lot of money to produce small numbers of frames by hand in NZ so it's hard to compete with mass produced Taiwanese alloy frames and far too few people are willing to pay a premium for it. Keewee took the business decision to go into rebadging Taaiwanese alloy frames and now sell far more bikes and make more money.

Myself, i only ever wanted to import brands/products that were a bit different and a bit special so wasn't geared up for and didn't want to start doing huge numbers of complete clone bikes.

It's amusing to see that 2/3 years on people are still saying how they were the nicest bike they ever had and how they wished they still had it etc when at the time it was hard to sell more than 5 frames a year! The cromoeight is still the nicest DH bike I ever had, good suspension action, good pedalling, great cornering and next to no maintenance.

The DH market is very small and saturated with good products, some of it at very low prices and it is this that pushes small and innovative producers out of the market. Look at all the small hand builders in the US and they're all doing 29ers and SS now as that's the only market that can support them. Will be interesting to see where they go once the big boys take that over as well.

DeadTom

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Fo' Grizzle
    • biketart.com
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2008, 14:27 »
Will be interesting to see where they go once the big boys take that over as well.

i think depressing is likely to be a more accurate word than interesting :-\
and yeah the old keewee's were badass, i wanted a cromotoze sooooo badly :)

edit: also just noticed on that keewee website that it says keewee changed ownership in 2002. not long before they stopped making the steel frames? :-\
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2008, 14:31 by DeadTom »
need more Evil in your life?  www.biketart.com

Teaboy

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2008, 14:45 »
I doubt we'll be seeing anyone take any legal action over anyone else. Both companies just choose frame designs from a taiwanese catalogue, make a few personalisations and sell them as different brands. If KeeWee are successfully sued for selling those frames i'll eat my hat!

tom

Topshelf

• Topshelf Components
  • MTB Company
  • God Like!
    • Topshelf Components
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2008, 16:50 »
Keewee hardly stole the new design off Bergamont. They were sourcing frames off the factory making the Bergamont frames and the factory offered them the same model. Will probably find that as Keewee only retail them in Australia and NZ then they are okay.

Can't moan about cool bike makes going out of business when nobody is buying them. All the time people are happy buying into a brand because of the marketing or low price or the rider's racing them then the small co will always struggle in a niche product.

Keewee was bought just before I started dealing with them, Trevor who ran Keewee was kept on to design and make stuff and they were keen to drive the business forward and grow it. They really wanted to keep production in NZ but sales just couldn't justify it. They then made the decision to do what most companies do and go to the far east and have fairly generic frames. They also run a big mail order business down there too. I guess buying in generic bikes in bulk and selling products based on low price mailorder is more profitable than making unique high quality handmade bikes. Tells you a lot about our industry.

Mark.

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2008, 17:46 »
but couldn't keewee make the cromo8 but keep the chepo bikes on to help with the money woes ?

not saying there going to, but they could

mark
:)....anyone have some xtr cranks for sale ? pweeeeseee......:)

Topshelf

• Topshelf Components
  • MTB Company
  • God Like!
    • Topshelf Components
« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2008, 22:33 »
Why would a business make a product that didn't generate any money for them? They would have to be made in very small batches and that is even more expensive.

[Cookie Monster]

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
  • That's Mr Cookie Monster to You!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2008, 23:33 »

Razor

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • With my solo polo vision!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2008, 13:16 »
Piccy of my old Chromo8  :'(

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/450164/

gridds

• God Like!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2008, 15:28 »

That's nice, what happened to it?

Razor

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • With my solo polo vision!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2008, 16:31 »

That's nice, what happened to it?

Was eventually sold to a loving new owner and was replaced by an M1 which as also now departed the shed leaving just my Bullit  :(

...or did you mean the ghetto bbq in the background  ;) , that was left at my flat when we moved and replaced with a Weber.  :)

© 2019 Ride It Out