Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paul's Weight loss tips.  (Read 77513 times)

JonGW

• Senior
Re: Paul's Weight loss tips.
« Reply #120 on: Dec 02, 2009, 19:01 »
rather you than me! That sounds pretty dodgy, can't you just exercise more? 

DTPM

« Reply #121 on: Jan 02, 2010, 15:10 »
Try virgin coconut oil. The recommended dose is 3 table spoons a day, so one at each meal, but it might be too much at first so use smaller doses to start with and build up over a week or two. I would also suggest that you eat plenty of fruit as a source of carbs,as your body can digest them easily, and you'll need something for energy. Get your protein from fish, preferably fresh or frozen and steam or bake it. Stay clear of hydrogenated vegetable oil and refined sugar. 

identitizack16

• Senior
    • Zack Pollard - For Sale
« Reply #122 on: Jan 28, 2011, 22:29 »
My new Regime:

5-7am, 18 mile cardio ride.
7:15am, Shower
7:30am, Chicken Breast, tin of tuna and a boiled egg.
9am, College (until 5:15)
11:45am, tin of tuna
1:15pm, Chicken Breast
6pm, Wholegrain Pasta, Salmon fillet (or Chicken)
9pm, Bed

Repeat until Saturday

(my cardio day off) Still eating the same meals.

Sunday, All day ride, eating only 3 mainly protein based meals..

Trying to drop 7 stone. (currently 21st)

Anything I should change?
Shall forever be known as the one who hates paypal!

gridds

• God Like!
« Reply #123 on: Jan 28, 2011, 23:18 »
Sounds quite hardcore, I'd be interested to know how you do and how you feel doing that for a while, you'll definitely loose weight! You might want more fresh fruit and veg or you might start feeling weird, or is that too much carbs?

Good luck.

identitizack16

• Senior
    • Zack Pollard - For Sale
« Reply #124 on: Jan 28, 2011, 23:45 »
I can't stand fruit...I might throw some peas in with the pasta occasionally..I do take 3 multivits a day though! I'm drinking a fruit smoothie every day..also.

It's been 3 days, and I'm feeling it..My legs are burning...and the protein farts! & occasional short fuse..but I think that's due to waking up every morning early!

I'm trying to cut as much carbs as I can out of my diet as possilbe, no bread, no potatoes etc..

I'll put up a before and after shot in 6 months :)
Shall forever be known as the one who hates paypal!

Rokin

• Senior
  • Fat, unskilled and proud.
« Reply #125 on: Jan 29, 2011, 00:24 »
You're probably getting cranky as it doesn't look like you're taking in that many carbs, so are getting pretty tired. There are nothing wrong with complex carbohydrates and unfortunately this is what most people cut out when trying to lose weight. Add a sudden exercise change and it's not going to help. You've got a specific goal, but a crash diet isn't the best thing to do, but rather tailor you eating habits around your daily needs. 
I get most of my complex carbs from oats and brown rice, with the simple carbs coming mainly from milk and fruit. Although currently bulking, I'm still maintaining a healthy weight with the level of exercise I do. I eat carbs throughout the day and only cut them out in the evening after training, (after the PWO glucose/ protein mix though). Try and separate your food intake to every few hours. I'd also seriously assess your 7:30am meal, as that's a hell of a lot of protein to be consuming. No wonder you're farting like a whore's fanny.

Entropic

• Be Water
« Reply #126 on: Jan 29, 2011, 18:47 »
If you're 21 stone it's very likely you can achieve you 7st goal with out the need for such an extreme diet. Carbs are very important to your ability to perform well, and to have the energy to rebuild muscle.

I've tried stuff like this before and have found it doesn't really work, for a few reasons. First you'll have no energy to 'use' your lower fat body and secondly it's not realistically sustainable in the long term.

I lost weight and got amazing muscle tone by having a massively protein biased diet, but I lost more weight and performed at a higher level eating a more sensible diet and actually having the energy to train harder, crucially I was happier!

By all means give it a go, but be wary of side effects, it's not a healthy way to live really, and you could certainly lose a good deal of weight whilst keeping muscle tone and having more energy by adopting a much more balanced healthy diet.

Energy is the big one really, would you rather have a Ferrari that you couldn't drive because it never had any fuel, or a golf with unlimited fuel?

gridds

• God Like!
« Reply #127 on: Jan 31, 2011, 00:36 »
I think that's good advice, Entropic.

byJim

• Immortal
  • Senior
    • wideopen magazine
« Reply #128 on: Oct 22, 2013, 14:03 »
What's everyone's thoughts on protein shakes? I eat a pretty decent diet 90% of the time and have dropped about 3.5 stone now but 3-4 gym sessions and riding at least twice a week are making me think I should be doing something extra nutrition wise?

I don't wanna bulk, just be 'in shape'.. what do you guys do?

Rokin

• Senior
  • Fat, unskilled and proud.
« Reply #129 on: Oct 26, 2013, 21:10 »
Well done on the weight loss. Losing that much isn't easy and must've taken a lot of hard work. With regards to protein shakes, they are only supplementary to solid foods in my opinion. You certainly won't bulk up on shakes alone, but with a well regimented nutrition plan and going above maintenance levels on your calorie intake you would. I wouldn't say shakes are a waste of money but if you're getting adequate nutrition from food and are happy where you currently are then I wouldn't worry too much. If I was recommending a protein powder then it would be a 'blend', (ie- something with faster and slower acting proteins in it, for example whey and casein), and only use it when I am feeling a bit lazy. A scoop in cereal or in a smoothie with a banana, oats and peanut butter as examples.

Post workout I usually have a BCAA drink, (amino acids/ electrolytes etc), as it's fast acting but mainly so that I can get a decent amount of food inside me within an hour or so of training. After many years of heavy weight training I would put more emphasis on a decent multivitamin, fish oils and tupperware boxes of pre-prepared meals over protein shakes.

hidden jitsu

• Senior
« Reply #130 on: Jan 23, 2014, 20:14 »
Interesting thread , I have started a diet , I was warned not to start a crash diet but just cut out the fatty foods ,  do breakfast is either porridge or small bowl of Cheerios with a banana , dinner either soup or scrambled egg with 2 slices of brown bread and tea is chicken breast with loads of veg.
and inbetween all this when my smoothie maker arrives I will be making smoothies.
but this is just for weight loss as I don't have the time or money to spend on supplements and going to the gym.
for now that is , as I want to loose 4 stone before going to the gym .
as at the momment I just feel too weak to go to the gym and what not for illness reasons.
but and hoping to loose a few stone by summer in that time my bike will be complete.
how likely am I to loose weight without going to the gym and just cutting out fatty foods?

Betsie

• Senior
« Reply #131 on: Jan 23, 2014, 22:37 »
Working out is free.
Weight loss is about lifestyle change.
When and what you eat, how and when you exercise etc.
Small changes over 6 months are best.
Get some Tanita scales, measure every few days. Often you loose body fat but your weight stays the same. Knowing what is really happening can be a great motivator.
Team Ticket2ridebc.com www.Descent-gear.com

hidden jitsu

• Senior
« Reply #132 on: Jan 23, 2014, 23:16 »
Working out is free.
Weight loss is about lifestyle change.
When and what you eat, how and when you exercise etc.
Small changes over 6 months are best.
Get some Tanita scales, measure every few days. Often you loose body fat but your weight stays the same. Knowing what is really happening can be a great motivator.

What home work out would you recommend?
I have some dumbells ad resistance bands , and that's it .

-Nic-

« Reply #133 on: Jan 25, 2014, 10:21 »
I think JY has it spot on, in that you really do have to change your lifestyle to both lose weight and then maintain that weight loss. ´╗┐Fad diets don't work for sustained weight loss. This is what I generally use if I don't have access to a gym. Maybe less to do with weight loss and more to do with building muscle but obviously the two overlap somewhat. Just remember that its worth doing less reps, but doing them properly, than it is to bust out hundreds of sets that have terrible form and don't work the muscles effectively.

© 2019 Ride It Out