Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paul's Weight loss tips.  (Read 76946 times)

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
  • Previously known as Chilled76
Paul's Weight loss tips.
« on: Nov 07, 2007, 18:16 »
Heya all, over the last year or so since I mentioned my past bodybuilding hobby I've had a fair few people pm me to ask about losing weight, I was pm'ed a minute ago by a chap who shall remain anonymous about shifting the last stubborn bits of fat and being in a good mood wrote a lengthy response.

I thought I'd post it in here as it's a fair sized response and might be of some use to some people.

My response was as follows.....

First of all congrats at sticking at it and losing 3 stone, shows you have what it takes mentally, which is the hardest thing.

As for what you have asked, that's the stubborn bits left, the only way to get them down is not just to "lose weight" but you need to lower your % of weight that is bodyfat.

Right you need to....

Eat 6 small meals a day

Make sure you don't go without a small meal for like more than 3 hours. A small meal is fist size or smaller.

This keeps your metabolic rate high and helps with the fat loss. It stops your body storing fat like people who eat 3 square meals a day.

Drink s**t loads of fresh cold water, also have plenty of black coffee/tea, the water is to keep you hydrated and caffeine acts as a metabolic stimulant. These two can do wanders on their own, but don't do the Caffeine without the extra water as the last thing you want to be is dehydrated when trying to shift fat, your piss should be clear and you will be peeing for England with all the water and caffeine unfortunately.

NOTE (don't drink too much caffeine though, 5 cups of tea/coffee a day should be a limit really and less if you are caffeine sensitive or really over weight)

Don't have caffeine too late though as you need quality sleep to get anywhere with training too. Try to get 8 hours a night and don't vary your sleeping pattern too much.

As for diet, get plenty of protein!!! all carbs should be brown not white so no chocolate/sweets, no white breads/pastas...basically brown rices wholemeal breads and wholemeal pastas for your carbs.

Try to get some good fats e.g Flora spread and olive oil (don't go overboard though) but don't cut all fat out though as when you do your testosterone drops lower than normal which is the worst thing you can do for fat burning.

Try not to eat after 6pm and if you do keep it protein, I usually have a tin of tuna if I'm hungry in the evening.

If you work out regularly concentrate on weight training.

A good 3 x a week workout is

10Min's rowing warm up
35-45 Min's hard weight training
20 Min's treadmill.

Reason being is if you do cardio first all you are doing is burning calories in your blood, muscles and liver stored as glucose and glycogen, then when you come to do weights you have very little energy, so you burn naff all fat and get a s**t weights session to go with it.

If you do it the other way around like I've stated you warm up then end up burning all the glucose/glycogen in an intense weights session (which is good for other reasons which I will come onto in a minute) then you have very little left for your running so the 20 Min's running burns more fat than if it was done before the weights.

Focusing on weight training is doubley good as it will speed your metabolism up for about 24-48 hours after the session, also by growing lean muscle mass you will increase your metabolic resting rate (amount of energy/calories your body uses just to keep alive and warm) so whilst you are sat watching t.v. you will be burning more calories than if you had less muscle.

As for weight training I could talk for hours so typing it isn't going to get everything down but basically concentrate on big compound movements

Squats
Chin ups
Dead lifts
Bench press
Military/shoulder presses
Barbell curls
Dips

You get the idea.

Don't mess around with shitty little weights, do that weights session like your life depended on it and push yourself every session, just doing that alone will shift fat as your testosterone will sky rocket as a result of it and you will gain lean muscle.

One other thing that really helps if you can manage to do it is doing cardio on it's own first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

Morning cardio on an empty stomach is the main difference between a guy with a flat stomach who has some muscle's who trains and eats well and a guy who models on C.K. underwear boxes

It makes a massive difference....but not many people (including myself these days) can be arsed to get up early to do it.

Just thought I'd put this here so next time someone asks for some advice on this subject I can link them to this thread.

Paul
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 11:26 by [Rob] »
If you're not falling off, you're not getting faster!

dhjunkiejon
Re: Paul's Weight loss tips.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2007, 19:33 »
That was a really cool article, Maybe a good thing to go on the homepage for SDH? Like a health and fitness section? That was pure quality, Although I know for a fact I won't bother doing that, It was very interesting

Props to Paul

Rob.

• God Like!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2007, 20:38 »
That was a really cool article, Maybe a good thing to go on the homepage for SDH? Like a health and fitness section? That was pure quality, Although I know for a fact I won't bother doing that, It was very interesting

Props to Paul
+1

Fastlane

• MTB Company
  • Senior
  • EX-Official SDH Papperazzi
    • www.mudfockers.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2007, 01:03 »

An intelligent well written informative thread here Paul top stuff.
you know your shiz!

[Veero]

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
    • Southern Downhill
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2007, 13:12 »
Excellent article.

This is the exact sort of thing I need to motivate to really get in shape (too many years of the stewdent life... :( ). My new job should mean I will have evenings again and a bit more time. I'm more than capable of getting up early so this looks good!

Nice one. Stickied!

Veero
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t.

al.

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2007, 14:10 »
Being a friend of Pauls and talking to him about this stuff rather extensivly let me add some personal experiance with the above tips (most of which paul has told me over time) and some with personal slant.

6 meals a day
awesome to start with - but if your like me and dieting isnt really feisable you'll probobly be better off just getting into a good routine with a brown cerial like weetabix or bran flakes (especially if your not a breakfast person as not eating breakfast can trick your body into starvation mode which you store more fat in!)

the other 2 meals just try and make sure you get the goodness in there ie what i did was wholewheat pasta and tuna with chopped tomato and spinich.

I did do the 6 meals a day and not eating junk for a good 2months and lost over a stone (weight loss isnt my main gain) but the problem was i felt like the diet was controling my day more so i scrapped this idea.

Now - eating 3 regular meals aday and having no chocolate / sweets or goodies other than 1x a week for a treat.
You learn to fall back in love with fruit when you dont have much snacky foods about... get some apples, bananas, kiwi's and other fruits and throw them in the fridge so there nice and cold :)

other useful things to have hanging around are dark rivitas and dried fruit / nuts.

main thing about sticking to a diet is keeping away from those snack foods so if you have a variety of good stuff round the house then youll less likely nip to the shop and get a mars bar.

as for drinking - water lots of it like Paul said - fills you up a lot as well, which is ace! Also not sure if this is a good idea but if i couldnt make 1 of the 6 meals id drink a pure oj with bits and grab a slice of wholemeal bread.

---- since doing the above and experimenting for a fair bit my whole routines changed - im now a member of a gym ( being a student this is a good thing as it gets you away from spending all your money on alcohol as your times spent in there )

id say ideally if you are serious about losing weight put your money where your mouth is - clear out all your junk from the house - give it to a mate or bin it.

replace your alcohol cupboard with a bottle of vodka staying away from ales and lagers and sugery alcohol drinks.

get a gym membership as they will give you a personal training plan and will tie up your nights with fitness rather than binging on drink - i still go out lots but i drink double vodka and ojs after being at the gym so a couple of them and im done for!

i was never overweight but i had a layer of fat that i wouldnt of minded to shift to get trim ( i was 12stone6 and 6foot) and now im 11stone8 - what! you say... well i did lose more weight but since being at the gym ive been bulking more so putting more weight on agian - its not really about weight... infact thats a key point

dont get hooked up on figures numbers and widths..... be true to yourself and eat healthy - ITS ALL ABOUT THE MIRROR TEST - and if your happy with what your looking at, so dont get down if youve tried really hard one week and you havnt lost much weight - have a look instead.

ps - im a coffee feind and what paul said about drinking lots is a good idea but i found with having not much food in my body (often going to bed after the gym feeling pretty hungry) that the coffee was pretty tiresome on the body and made me pretty moody, im sure it works for some more than others but my mental being was more importiant than body i figured.

;) hope thats not just a ramble

oh and another great thing about a good gym is the spa, sauna, dip tanks, jackoozies and steamrooms to pamper yourself after working your tits off :)

LET THE WINTER TRAINING COMMENCE!!

al.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007, 14:12 by al* »
Usain Bolt ran at 40 mph to break his previous world record. You might think that's good, but if he hits a child there's an 80% chance she'll die.

Hairyb

• God Like!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2007, 16:02 »
Fantastic advice paul, and cheers to al for the additional advice!  :)

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2007, 17:07 »
Cheers al

Was good to see someone put the advice to good use rather than try it for a week and give up (unfortunatly thats my own current state of affairs and I'm watching myself slowly change shape in a bad way  :'()

I'll be back on it for the summer though  ;D

Paul

Maximouse

• Senior
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2007, 18:19 »
I have part of that done, eating loads of healthy food. 5 meals a day, im not fat at all though and got good fitness. Just need to work more on the weights part!

Leigh2612

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • appalache/ solo airs
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2007, 19:10 »
35£ or so for a gym a month is a great investment in yourself, just make sure you can go 2-3 times a week!
Agree with the above, keep good food around for snacks, slip into eating s**t and it will go out the window real quick...
Chilled what are your stats like?
Quit your jibba jabba!

[Trail_Rat]

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
  • Never forget your beginner's spirit!
    • Trail-rat endurance racing
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2007, 19:24 »
yep its all good advice and its what i adhered to to loose 2 stone 2 years ago ....

alternatively if your like me and find the gym irritating ....i enjoy going i just dont like the atmosphere and artificial air of the air conditioning system ... i found swimming and bouldering at the local climbing wall a better release for my energy

then you too can have an arse like

http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=135326.0;attach=12104;image

seriously though pauls advice works wonders.

"i dont want to appear unsympathetic but i am so thats how it appears"

Sam B

• Media Team
  • God Like!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2007, 20:55 »
Chilled, what about if i just wanted to get some more muscle on me? What do you suggest?

Thanks
Looking for the elusive wonder gap

TurnerFan

• Global Moderator
  • God Like!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2007, 21:14 »
35£ or so for a gym a month is a great investment in yourself, just make sure you can go 2-3 times a week!
Agree with the above, keep good food around for snacks, slip into eating s**t and it will go out the window real quick...
Chilled what are your stats like?

I'm not into it anymore mate, I just look like a guy who goes to the gym a bit now.

My best shape was 14.5 stone with  just visable abs (I'm 5ft10) so a fair bit of muscle, arms were 17.5" around then,    ;D

I could Bench 140kg for 10reps Squat 200kg for 8 reps and deadlift 250kg 1 rep max so was pretty strong too. Thing is it aint that impressive compared to a lot but I always remained natural. Don't see the point in steroids, yer you might look great but it doesn't do your body any favours, especially in the long run.

I Lost a lot of size after I got soft tissue damage in one shoulder in France 2006 and then did my other shoulder at Hamsterley 4 months later, I've never really recovered properly from it.

As soon as my house purchase has gone through I'm gonna be back on it properly though.  ;)

Rokin

• Senior
  • Fat, unskilled and proud.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2007, 22:35 »
Great article there, and certainly worthy of a sticky. It's really good to know that so many people are actively wanting to get fitter, especially as the weather is turning more rubbish and the lure of the console grows.
I lucked out and got a free personal trainer of sorts in my Dad who was a powerlifter, (he did some crazy stats in his prime... 550lb deadlifts etc.,) who has helped me train to my level of fitness now. I don't benchpress, but use free weights and the machines. Everything is controlled and strict, and hurts like hell! Guess that's the way though.
My greatest achievement to date though hasn't been my weights, (although I'm quite proud of my 25KG hammer curls and maxing out the pec fly machine for 12 reps last week,) but rather those funny chin up things with your legs stretched out in front of you and your toes pointed forward. Don't know what they're called, but I can now do them. 8 comfortably. I was actually screaming out and bouncing around in my car on the way home the day I first did them.
That's why I train, apart from the history of heart disease in my family. It's the feeling you get when you leave knowing you've put the effort in.

Sam B

• Media Team
  • God Like!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2007, 22:42 »
Tips please!

Chilled, what about if i just wanted to get some more muscle on me? What do you suggest?

Thanks
Looking for the elusive wonder gap

© 2019 Ride It Out