Want to see the full replay from red bull??? click here
Here’s our highlights of the race if you havent got time to watch the full replay..
2017 Elite Men’s World Championships Downhill Results
Conditions were dusty and loose on track today in Cairns, with some wind to add to the drama.
- Sam Hill was the first rider down in the race. He killed it on his EWS winning trail bike. Deciding not to bother with a DH bike because he was used to the smaller machine. He sat in the hot seat for some time, until Sick Mick came down. An impressive 6th place for the flat pedal rider on the day in only his 2nd DH race of the season.
- Mick Hannah decided to miss the last world cup to focus on this very race, a huge commitment. He’s been training here for the last few weeks. In his true style he put together a run that was faultless and looked like that he would take the title. But he was beaten by 0.33secs. We really did feel for him losing out by so little on home turf.
- Greg Minnar flatted out another stinger for him this season.
- Gwin 3rd on the day, Im sure this is not the result hes looking for but, a first world champs medal for him.
- Shark Attack Jack put in another stormer to finish 4th.
- Taking the stripes for a second time today was Loic Bruni. Putting down a run that was inch perfect and well deserved to take home gold.
2017 Elite Women’s World Championships Downhill Results
- There were some big crashes in the women’s field.
- Rachel Atherton was injured in practice and could not compete so it was wide open!
- Seagrave looked on form but went down in her race run
- Tracy Hannah’s university campus is at the bottom of the track. She can even see the top of this track from her house! She was on a stormer and victory looked easy within her reach. But a front wheel wash on an off camber put an end to it. She could have easily still won if she would have just got up from her crash faster. We think she sat there for a good 3 secs before she decided to get up! It was gutting to see her lose by only 1.9 secs!
- Miriam Nicole had a run with no mistakes, but the timing said she was 40+ seconds back. So she contested the result and after investigation by the timing folk, it was confirmed that she put in a time only 0.097 from the win. So close!
- The story of the day has to go to Canadian Miranda Miller who’s been concentration on enduro a lot more this season. She put a solid run to take home the stripes!
2017 Junior Men’s World Championships Downhill Results
- Matt Walker took home victory with over 3 seconds to spare.
- It was good to see welsh speaker Joe Breeden take home a silver medal. The boy has been on form towards the end of his season!
So Stoked to take Silver at the World Championships here in Cairns, Australia today. Me and my home bro @mattwalkerdh went 1 / 2 for Team GB / @britishcycling. Huge thanks to all at @britishcycling for all the graft, helping us achieve these medals, couldn't have done it without you! 👊🏻 What a week!🥇🥈
2017 Junior Women’s World Championships Downhill Results
- Great to see some close racing in the junior women. Chappaz was also on a Specialized taking the gold medal tally for the brand to 3.