Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's happened to this forum?  (Read 5344 times)

S-Waddle

• God Like!
  • Ride Big Or Ride Home
What's happened to this forum?
« on: May 28, 2015, 01:02 »
Originally known as Southern Downhill, this forum used to be used by hundreds on a daily basis.

Well known users such as [Rob], [Cookie Monster], and "al." were forever browsing the forum and keeping things running smoothly.

Threads seemed to gain hundreds, if not thousands of views in no time and it wasn't long before a stream of replies were wrote on a thread of yours. One thing that really surprised me was seeing 1 thread in "Spangly New Kit" from 2015. Back in the day, numerous threads were added in there every day as I'm sure a few long serving SDH/Ride.io posters will remember.

I know [Rob] still gets on the forum quite a bit, but I was wondering what's happened to the masses of folk? Have they gone elsewhere, has the name change had an effect of the number of forum users or are people spending more time riding? Just a general enquiry to find out what's going on. I'm sure one of the admins will have some info :P

Hope all are well.

DH bike
http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4391/pbpic4391094.jpg

minty

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Don't be a...
Re: What's happened to this forum?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 01:19 »
Minty's still around awwwwww! ;-d.   Use to love this forum int day not now though where spamming is rife. Bastads!  Perhaps they grew older balder fatter and yeah joined stw haha! But yh always thinking the same as you. Shame I blame it on the conservatives getting in again. They're pretty much to blame for all things ...

''hey - I'm curious.... the girl in your avaatar - who is it?  recognise her but can't put my finger in it...''

downhill supreme

• Senior
  • Kona Stinky Supreme (see sig)
    • UNDERGROUND BIKERS
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 14:38 »
stw by the look of it! This forum used to be king - I used to love going to the sdh forum and talking about the latest downhill races, etc. I can hardly believe how quite it is now. Hopefully thing will pick back up.

minty

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Don't be a...
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 16:07 »
Amen bro!
''hey - I'm curious.... the girl in your avaatar - who is it?  recognise her but can't put my finger in it...''

[Rob]

• Ride.io
  • Site Admin
  • God Like!
  • Ride.io
    • Check out the home page
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2015, 11:36 »
It's awesome to see that loads of regular members do still visit out forum and have a great love for it. 

We are currently working on giving the forum a re-fresh to try and boot it back into a faster pace forum, so watch this space chaps and please don't go away!
Change is good! Ride It Out.

KRON

• Yeah for it!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2015, 13:32 »
I know I'm not part of the 'well known' users but I do check here pretty much every day as a part of my forum routine. Would love to see more action on here. Looking forward to the updates. 

Yeti bandit

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2015, 14:27 »
Same been on here since I don't know when (just checked 2002, wow over ten years!), currently living aboard and still check here now and then. I would love to see it back to the old ways where a question would be answered in minutes or at a push a couple of hours.
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2015, 14:30 by Yeti bandit »
-FIGHT WARS NOT WAR--PEACE-

scar4me

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2015, 15:49 »
Tis the unfortunate way....
Busy site means people are more interested, generating more interesting conversations, and making you willing to come back more often.

Number dwindle, and so does the conversation.

The goods news is the email shouts are good, and been seeing good ride.io video's cropping up.
Hopefully that'll bring some more interest.

Scar
P.s. Jeepers just seen i've been online here for over 82days, thats a lot! :(

xiphon

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • A southerner oop north!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2015, 18:43 »
Unfortunate clash of events:

1.  Re-branding (sign for older folks, "it's time to move on...")
2.  Lack of new members, as they're all using Facebook groups...

On a more positive note, STW have seen an increase in advertising revenue....
I love citrus fruit!

Squirrelking

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Once shot for impersonating a descent-world guru
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2016, 03:13 »

Three posts in the Chill Zone over the entirety of 2015.

I'll say that again.

THREE POSTS.

Unfortunately I see this going the way of Descent-World before long, I'm surprised it's lasted this long TBH (even more surprised to see DW twitched a bit back in May). I've said it before and I'll say it again, you need to seriously consider wholesale nuking of dead boards as they are making the place look even more dead than it is. UKBP & B4R are the only race series that have been posted in within the last year, the photography and video boards are long dead and the classifieds have slowed to such a crawl you could probably consolodate the whole lot onto one board.

You had a good thing here and certainly much better than STW.

minty

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Don't be a...
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2016, 17:39 »
Yes much better than stw and their trolling house bound 40yr old men still living with their mothers. ::):laugh:

downhill supreme

• Senior
  • Kona Stinky Supreme (see sig)
    • UNDERGROUND BIKERS
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2016, 13:00 »
I agree with Squirrelking, and it might be a stupid question, but how come there has not been a concerted effort to resurrect this Ride.io forum? This forum genuinely was much better than others that exist these days. 

minty

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Don't be a...
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2016, 17:46 »
:) Maybe we should have a good ol' meetup where folk whether old/new bring their bikes to go ride then put on a killer bbq, wack the toons on going off big style and pull the special brew out!

Bob's your uncle and fanny's your aunt & hey presto life back in the old gal.
Would be good to put some faces to names.

:)

Speeder

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 29, 2016, 00:44 »
seriously consider wholesale nuking of dead boards as they are making the place look even more dead than it is

+1

the proliferation of boards was part of the downfall of this site for me - ok  haven't been here for ages but then I'm hardly target these days with no DH bike built up and 2 young uns but it's easy to see that the place has more boards than posts and it's clearly lacking any interest. 

Consolidate it and it'll look busier and maybe attract a few more people back. The classifieds were always the best and the knowledge easy to come by. 

© 2013 Ride It Out