Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Superstar Trizoid Hub  (Read 1156 times)

SpudMaster

• Senior
  • >Rather be dead than cool<
Superstar Trizoid Hub
« on: Feb 27, 2013, 02:24 »
Can people who own this hub please tell me how fast theirs engages?  I've just received a wheel using this hub and the engagement feels about the same as my old Hope Bulb.  Surely the Trizoid with its 120 points of engagement should engage much faster than the Bulb with its 36 (i think). 

When I turn the freehub by hand it feels as though it skips a tooth or two before it engages.

Also when I spin the wheel it only makes the clicking sound for roughly half a turn then goes quiet then comes back for half a turn and then quiet again etc.

Is this normal for this hub or have a receiced a faulty one?

I can post a video tomorrow demonstrating the above issues tomorrow if it helps

[Rob]

• Ride.io
  • Site Admin
  • God Like!
  • Ride.io
    • Check out the home page
Re: Superstar Trizoid Hub
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2013, 09:09 »
Doesn't sound right.  Give Superstar a bell.
Change is good! Ride It Out.

SpudMaster

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:01 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xXi-c67FTM&feature=youtu.be

That video shows the issues I described. 

JimFunn

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:21 »
I'm at work so can't watch the vid with sound...but I would guess the pawls in the free hub have possible been over greased on assembly making them stick down and not engage cleanly.
First time I rebuit a Pro2 hub i did this a bit and it was similar to what you are describing. It can happen even with the thinest / lightest grease.

I now assemble them almost dry with just a light smear of ATF.

100mphplus

• Immortal
  • Senior
  • Team ticket2ridebc.com / descent-gear.com / Spy Op
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:38 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xXi-c67FTM&feature=youtu.be

That video shows the issues I described.

It that the brake binding the rear wheel or the freehub, it's certainly not freewheeling correctly?

It certainly doesn't sound right too, my make has one and it picks up mega fast and 'buzzes' all of the time, I love the sound it makes  ;D
Team www.Ticket2rideBC.com / www.descent-gear.com / Spy Optics
Live the Dream!
For a 5% discount on your Ticket2RideBC holiday, enter the code 'T2R01' on your booking form.

Daver27

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:01 »
sounds like its been assembled wrong. theres a metal retaining band for the pawls that is easy to make slip off when assembling which can lead to springs not doing whatthey are meant to as they can't push the pawls out. its easy to take apart and put back together. SS have detailed diagrams they will give you. if its new though, send it back, they'll sort you out
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2013, 12:05 by Daver27 »

SpudMaster

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2013, 20:43 »
Meant to say that the wheel doesn't turn freely in the video cos the brake is rubbing, the hub spins freely though.  I've sent Superstar an email asking them to send me some info on how to strip n rebuild the hub as it would be quicker for me to do it than return it and wait for it to come back. 

SpudMaster

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2013, 15:36 »
Sent Superstar an email yesterday but I've not heard back from them yet.

Does anyone have any info on servicing the Trizoid hub as I would like to sort it out myself before the weekend if possible.

SpudMaster

• Senior
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2013, 23:53 »
Quick update:

Superstar got back to me with a nice guide on servicing the hub.  I got the freehub off and everything looked as it should,  hardly any, if any grease was in there and the metal retaining band appeared to be doing what it should.  None the less I took it apart completely and put it back together the same as it appeared before and now it works as it should.   

Not quite sure what I did but it works now so thats all that matters  :)

SpudMaster

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2013, 20:05 »
So it seems my troubles with the hub are not over.  When I put it back together it appeared to be fine. 
Today when I went for my first ride on it it started out ok but the freehub started to go silent and then back to making the clicking sound.  At one point the freehub went stiff so I couldn't rotate the cranks backwards and made a creaking sound when I cranked hard.  After about 10 minutes it started working normally again. 

At the moment it seems to be working fine but for how long?...

Time to contact Superstar again I think.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2013, 20:07 by SpudMaster »

Betsie

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2013, 20:35 »
If the hub went stiff then check the bearing on the drive side.
Mine went like that after replacing the bearings with hybrid ceramic ones.
The bearing was pants, so waiting for an SKF one to arrive during the week and hope the problem goes away.
The issue with the hub could be that the bearing on the drive side is a little small compared to other hubs.
Team Ticket2ridebc.com www.Descent-gear.com

SpudMaster

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2013, 20:53 »
The original bearings were pants? Or the ones you fitted?  I'll speak to superstar and see what they say on the issue.

© 2013 Ride It Out