Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MX Knee Braces - Anybody use these?  (Read 7143 times)

Green Supreme

MX Knee Braces - Anybody use these?
« on: Jun 20, 2012, 16:20 »
I smashed my tibial plateau last summer and after a year off the DH bike I'm looking at getting back on, but want to get an MX knee brace to give a bit of added stability.

Ive been looking into a few models but have had mixed and contradictory reviews. The ones im thinking about are:

Astrerisk Cell
EVS Web Carbon
Alpinestars B2
Fox Pod

There is nowhere local I can try one on so am going to have to take a punt, order and hope its the right size.

Anybody had any experience of these ones? or could recommend another one that they have had experience with?

JimFunn

Re: MX Knee Braces - Anybody use these?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2012, 14:34 »
Hi Mate,
I have EVS WEB and Asterisk Cells (not the new 2012 white ones though).

EVS Webs are quite bulky and didn't fit my legs very well. also the stops and not that great.

I really like my Asterisk, as do many of my MX friends & a few have switched to them from custom CTI's.

Think the POD's are fairly similar to the EVS, Alpinstars braces look less bulky.

However, trying to ride DH in them is another kettle of fish!!

Green Supreme

« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2012, 16:33 »
Would you not recommend them for DH then? or just awkward?

RL9DHRIDER

• Senior
  • Once a pinner, now a weekend warrior
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2012, 11:24 »
Hi mate, I ride Ossur OTS (CTi Edge) braces for both MX and DH. I only require one (only one ballsed knee) but prefer to ride both knees for protection-i really dont want to do the other knee!

I have tried a few braces on and the top ones for me were the Asterisk or the CTI/Ossur and DonJoy. I wouldn't bother with anything else. They are the market leaders in the field. Asterisk were designed with MX/Sports in mind where as the CTI/Ossur and DonJoy's are made by primarily medical brands that have adapted medical braces for sport.

My OTS's with the MX kit are perfect for DH, they don't move one bit and offer upper shin protection (from the braces frame) from pedal whacks and of course knee protection from the knee cup. I find i can pedal flawlessly and move about exactly as without them. Once used to them you don't know you have them on.

My advice would be to spend as much as you can afford (or buy some as new used ones) as cheaper ones don't cut it. The 661 braces for example look really good, but the hinges are not anotomically correct (they do not follow the same movement of the knee joint) so hinge in a very basic way-no comfortable or good for your knees.

Can you get yourself to a MX shop to try some on? You may find certain brands don't fit you as well as others.

If i was you go Asterisk or Ossur. There are some great deals on Asterisk at the mo with CRC and dirtbikebitz.co.uk

When my OTS die i will probably go Asterisk as they are a little cheaper (the same cost to buy as it is to have my ones serviced!!!)

Good luck
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2012, 11:29 by RL9DHRIDER »

JimFunn

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2012, 12:00 »
As above, i use the Asterisk and would advise them to anyone. Spend an hour getting them set-up correctly and they are comfortable enough to wear all day.

Allot of guys i race with can't wait to strip out of their gear between motos and get their braces off but my Asterisk are fine to leave on all day. I have heard good things about the CTI OTS (off the shelf), although they are a few hundred quid more...
I also like the look of the new white Asterisk but haven't heard any reports etc just yet...

ace

« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2012, 12:38 »
Really try before you buy,  test fit,  find a MX store near you.

Did try some some Asterisks out,  they have been revised and the old model can be found a bit cheaper.

My boss did a proper job on one of his knees,  he has gone for a Fox Pod single unit and loving it, he has worn it for xc rides but has built the muscle up and now uses it for DH messing about only.
Fit is everything,  size is important,  and it took a couple of short rides, walking about to dial in the final fitment adjustments,  at first the boss thought he made a pricey mistake as very uncomfortable,  now he dosen't really notice it, and wears it all day uplifting.  An undersock (looks like an armwarmer) will add to comfort and wicking away of sweat.

Not sure on the rebuildable nature of the Pods,  but the Asterisks are fully rebuildable,  Madisons are the importer so really any bike shop can get them in,  but MX shops will have more experience with them and fittment advice.

Who Dares Bins

100mphplus

• Immortal
  • Senior
  • Team ticket2ridebc.com / descent-gear.com / Spy Op
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2012, 13:00 »
I have a Donjoy custom and would highly recommend it.  I used cheaper ones prior that just didn't work and consequently my knee suffered.  Since getting the custom Donjoy I haven't had a knee dislocation whilst riding (falling off  ;) ).

They also have a lifetime warranty, mine cracked after a fall and they replaced FOC, even remeasuring for latest leg size.
Team www.Ticket2rideBC.com / www.descent-gear.com / Spy Optics
Live the Dream!
For a 5% discount on your Ticket2RideBC holiday, enter the code 'T2R01' on your booking form.

joshleb

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2012, 19:58 »
I have a Donjoy Armor, which has been great,

Got it after did my ACL in, and still use it now a year after surgery when out on the bike and doing other silly things.

Made a massive difference to stability before surgery, really noticed it when I took it off and my leg felt all loose ha.

£400 for it, so is quite a lot, but definitely worth it I would say

Richardsl

• Ride It Out
MX Knee Braces Anybody use these
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:27 »
can u give me an estimate how much Dr. Felisa Cua charges pag magpapa-braces ako?

© 2013 Ride It Out