Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Avid Elixir R rock solid  (Read 597 times)

Kornowski

• Senior
    • Daniel Piercy Media
Avid Elixir R rock solid
« on: Feb 27, 2012, 13:15 »
A strange problem has just appeared with my rear Avid Elixir R. When I got the bike out the garage yesterday to go ride, the dead band on the rear brake was non-existent, I'd literally pull the lever and it'd bite. However, after riding it for a few minutes, it'd return to normal and the bite point would be the same as the front brake (set up how I like it). I noticed it appeared again once I'd left it for  a little bit on the train home, it'd be well too sharp. It's almost like the opposite of trapped air?

Any ideas? Thanks!

GavinD

• Senior
Re: Avid Elixir R rock solid
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2012, 13:58 »
That sounds potentially like a sticking piston but you would get noticeable binding, is the brake binding when it starts and then disappearing?
Why are drugs bad - well if you took the 'e' out of Exeter you're left with XTR!

Kornowski

• Senior
    • Daniel Piercy Media
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2012, 14:02 »
By binding you mean rubbing/dragging? Nope, nothing, it's totally use-able. It's just pin sharp; imagine how Saints would feel if you used the Avid bleed procedure, like that, haha.

GavinD

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2012, 14:09 »
That is very odd, never come across this before sorry!
Why are drugs bad - well if you took the 'e' out of Exeter you're left with XTR!

Kornowski

• Senior
    • Daniel Piercy Media
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2012, 14:38 »
No worries. It's confusing me because it's the complete opposite of what you'd expect to happen.

Londoner

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2012, 20:58 »
No worries. It's confusing me because it's the complete opposite of what you'd expect to happen.

a touch too much fluid in the MC is your problem?

try reducing the fluid volume a little (crack the port on the MC with a torx, very gently squeeze lever and catch DOT in a rag / tissue, seal the port back up and wipe off any DOT with water or other suitable cleaner)

go ride, and see what happens//

be aware the open disc brake systems are affected by atmospheric pressure, which means when the weather changes a previously dialled bleed can end up having a touch too much volume, this can reset the timing port position without your input!

GavinD

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2012, 22:19 »
Good one for the mental diagnostic book londoner!

Kornowski

• Senior
    • Daniel Piercy Media
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2012, 10:28 »

a touch too much fluid in the MC is your problem?

try reducing the fluid volume a little (crack the port on the MC with a torx, very gently squeeze lever and catch DOT in a rag / tissue, seal the port back up and wipe off any DOT with water or other suitable cleaner)

go ride, and see what happens//

be aware the open disc brake systems are affected by atmospheric pressure, which means when the weather changes a previously dialled bleed can end up having a touch too much volume, this can reset the timing port position without your input!

I bled them maybe 6 months ago, maybe a little longer, they've been fine since, it's only very recently that this has started to happen. Maybe time for another bleed and see what happens. Odd though  :-\

© 2013 Ride It Out