Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2012 Team Gossip!  (Read 138841 times)

Torico

• Torico peformance Bicycles
  • MTB Company
  • Senior
  • www.torico.co.uk
    • torico
Re: 2012 Team Gossip!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2011, 17:28 »
oooh bit aggresive arent we?
my comment about "feeding off" one another was based on the fact that Gees results havent suffered . i suggest you read a bit more carefully and tone down your response.

nope I dont have any clue how they feel about each others fitness and well being and how it affects their performance I was supporting the notion that when one member of the family isnt doing so well it doesnt play too big a hand in the others' performance!

I differ from your view that the success of the athertons is attributed to how they market themselves as a family - sure it might mean they are more marketable to potential sponsors but in the current guise its only good if they are all winning. if one or more isnt then the strong allegiance stats to look less meaningful. you could just argue that by simply looking at Dans results in DH , he is merely along for the ride. dont get me wrong hes a great rider and has had a terrible time but this season they are not the force they were and I'd be surprised ( but delighted for Dan) if he came back to challenging the top 5 in DH. rachel will no doubt be back . the problem that they might have is if they come as a package they might price themselves out of a deal. would they do better financially if they were separate , would the results still come in for gee and rach... well yes i think they would , just cos they might not be on the same team doesnt mean they stop behaving like siblings!. the atherton brand could become a victim of its own success unless some of the major players in the industry ( ideally outside of the industry)  dont step up and see what they have in a very marketable and likeable family. I cant wait for major corporations to come back to the sport and the athertons are surely on any sponsors wish list but with the worlds economies in freefall it will have to take some skillful negotiations to secure an out of industry sponsor to step up with the $$$$ they have the potential to earn a brand. Footballers earn big money as they draw in big money - they are pretty cheap for the revenues they pull in. The athertons are a veritable bargain
www.torico.co.uk or www.toricomorzine.com
01258 473770
Join our facebook page at Torico Performance Bikes for details on deals and events in our Morzine and Dorset Stores

Jack Read

• Senior
  • Part of the Steve Peat Syndicate for 2011
« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2011, 18:19 »
Haha! Sorry I did not want a debate about this, but surely you must read through your comment and see that it was a bit rediculous to say what you did in the way you did eh? And as for toning down, I think the internet made me seem a lot angrier then I was!
Anyway, that aside, I have no idea about teams financially, but I agree with you that as a trio they may be expensive for potential sponsors, especially with two of them asking for a world championship winning salary. Guessing Dan would be recieving what they do without the results bonuses, too.
But you will find the salary of the top downhillers is massive, the ones at the very top earn what you would expect from a world-beating athlete.
I have no vendetta against you bro - sorry!

Torico

• MTB Company
  • Senior
  • www.torico.co.uk
    • torico
« Reply #17 on: Aug 10, 2011, 19:26 »
No offence taken
Let's have a cuddle
01258 473770
Join our facebook page at Torico Performance Bikes for details on deals and events in our Morzine and Dorset Stores

Farmer.

• God Like!
  • Im-mature.
« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2011, 23:52 »
Brendan to the Syndicate.

Sam Hill as a privateer cos Spesh want to drop him after having a poor season.

Troy will be joined with Sam Blenkinsop

Al Bond will be on Trek

The Athertons will be on Diamondback next year.

Cam Cole and Blenki will be on Zerode cos they are Kiwis.

Greg Minnaar to Lapierre

Team CRC will cut down to just one rider which will be Rob Warner who is making a return to downhill after having success on his Fox course rides this year.

Intense will take over the CRC riders.

Just what I've heard on the rumour mill.

Part time

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • NOT a cyclist.
    • Blog
« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2011, 07:57 »
All this enduro talk makes me sad.
That's my boy!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbAghf504Aw
Norco Six
Intense Pro XL BMX

Torico

• MTB Company
  • Senior
  • www.torico.co.uk
    • torico
« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2011, 10:14 »
maybe not far off the truth for Zerode as they are keen on signing some high profile Kiwis- maybe not the 2 you mention but I have heard of some other names mentioned

you missed out john Tomac making a return with Greg Herbold and missy giove riding for BMW proflex
01258 473770

Alex @ Racersguild

• God Like!
  • Bike Geek
    • The country's finest free timed practice series
« Reply #21 on: Aug 11, 2011, 12:16 »
I doubt anyone would break up the Atherton Brand, they're a slickly run, well managed family team. I think they'll always be "The Athertons who happen to be riding Brand X, rather than the Brand X team including the Athertons, though, which might concern a potential sponsor.

I think Miami might try to venture away from the apron strings in 2012. He's become his own man this year.

missy giove riding for BMW proflex

On day release?  :laugh:

Pires

• Senior
« Reply #22 on: Aug 11, 2011, 14:53 »
Just a though but would RedBull put a team together around the Athertons? Redbull seem to throw a vast amount of money, off season training, physio etc etc their way, (more than any other of their sponsored riders, that just get a nice redbull lid).  ;)

It seems the team and structure are already there with Browny, stevey etc. So all they need is a big sponsor and to ride something Madison related?
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2011, 14:55 by Pires »

Farmer.

• God Like!
  • Im-mature.
« Reply #23 on: Aug 11, 2011, 18:54 »
I doubt anyone would break up the Atherton Brand, they're a slickly run, well managed family team. I think they'll always be "The Athertons who happen to be riding Brand X, rather than the Brand X team including the Athertons, though, which might concern a potential sponsor.

I think Miami might try to venture away from the apron strings in 2012. He's become his own man this year.

missy giove riding for BMW proflex

On day release?  :laugh:

Brand X? Wearing pads like these etc?

Alex @ Racersguild

• God Like!
  • Bike Geek
    • The country's finest free timed practice series
« Reply #24 on: Aug 11, 2011, 22:47 »
I thought to myself "no-one is really gong to mention Brand-X if I refer to something as brand x meaning an un-named brand ..."

FNF

• Senior
« Reply #25 on: Aug 12, 2011, 00:27 »
haha

supreme-hp

• Senior
  • Giant Glory 2010
« Reply #26 on: Aug 12, 2011, 08:12 »
I doubt very much that the Athertons would be on Saracens, it would be far too expensive for Madison! When the Athertons need shimano parts from Madison, I've heard that they practically clear the warehouse from them! That wouldn't be feesible (sp?) if the Athertons used Saracens as Saracen is completely owned by Madison, rather than Commencal who were still a seperate company.
Bykz4lyf

Torico

• MTB Company
  • Senior
  • www.torico.co.uk
    • torico
« Reply #27 on: Aug 12, 2011, 10:49 »
dont underestimate the size and power of madison- the biggest distributor in Europe makes Commencal look like minnows!
01258 473770

Ted Striker

• Media Team
  • Senior
  • Don't call me Shirley.
    • Accidental Racing
« Reply #28 on: Aug 12, 2011, 17:36 »
I love it on the internet when nobody bothers to read what has been written before...

Jeron

• God Like!
« Reply #29 on: Aug 12, 2011, 20:53 »
I love it on the internet when nobody bothers to read what has been written before...

Yes but on the internet your just another random person behind a computer. You have just as much of a say in something as anyone else. If you say they aren't on saracen someone else could say they are, if you know neither person then it makes no difference - if you see what im getting at?

Some people will know you have done reviews or whatnot for them so I'd go with what your saying obviously
I make websites, logos, posters, all that sort of stuff. Get in touch!

Offset shock bushings! From £10 each. www.offsetbushings.com Order online securely and safely!

© 2013 Ride It Out