Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Canon 60d for video.  (Read 2241 times)

joe90

Canon 60d for video.
« on: Jan 01, 2011, 18:00 »
Just been reading about the new 60d on the web...

Comparing it to the 550d and the 7d it seems to be stuck in no mans land between them.
From what I read, basically no-one quite knows why you'd go with it unless the new adjustable screen/better build quality pulls you over from the 550...

Basically, is it worth the extra 200 quid over the 550 if your going to be primarily using it for video?

Cheers in advance.

supercross

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • parkinbros.com
    • Parkin Bros
Re: Canon 60d for video.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2011, 18:42 »
http://philipbloom.net/2010/12/07/whichdslr/

Phillip Bloom is one of the foremost authorities on DSLR video, and his opinions are greatly respected in the film making community.

My only personal reservation about the 60D is the lack of the weather proofing you get in the 7D. Considering how much of my work is done in the pissing rain, weather proofing is one of the most important features of my 7D.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2011, 18:45 by supercross »
Dirt TV presents: Finally www.dirtmountainbike.com

joe90

« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2011, 23:02 »
Cheers for the link dude, really interesting read. 

Not sure if I can find the extra cash for the 7d, so by going on what Bloom says the 60d could be a good alternative.

blueblob

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2011, 22:43 »
I have the 60d, I made the decision to go for it over the 550d and wish but couldnt stretch to the 7d.

I'd say yes, I love my 60d :)

tomdaniels

• God Like!
  • Ride Steel
    • My Flickr
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2011, 23:14 »

Garree

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2011, 20:08 »
I'd recommend the 60D.  check out a mtn bike film I shot on it in Nepal - http://vimeo.com/25975077

Really happy with the quality, flip screen is handy.  They all take a bit of getting used to compared with using a standard video camera but looks very sexy compared to them.  Sound is a big issue - but not if you're just shooting mtn biking.

cheers

gary

blueblob

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2011, 22:03 »
Hi Gary,

Superb! What a location!!! Lovely looking vistas.
Super inspirational for both mountain biking and videography!

Agree with the flip screen. I cant believe howmuch I use this for shooting images. I have to admit I havent done any planned shoots with my 60d yet.

Ricky c

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2011, 17:51 »
I bought a 7D back in september and haven't looked back since.

As much as I see the advantages of the flip screen I don't think it outweighs the fact that the 7D is weatherproofed and the better build quality.

My suggestions, as like many other people say, is to go into a shop and hold both of them. You will notice a great difference, in my opinion save up a bit more and get the 7D.

Rich

blueblob

« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2011, 23:06 »
I agree.
Although without me seeing return on investment i.e. I'm not a pro photographer/videographer and my mountainbike hobby has already cost me £2.5k plus! I couldnt stretch to the 7d.
In the same light. Hold a 550d and then a 60d.

I suppose the 7d is simply professional and the latter 2 are prosumer.

laza10

• Junior
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2011, 22:18 »
I also bought a 7d about a  month ago, was debating about getting a 60d, but my dad convinced me to go up one, basically cos i want to have it for a long time and the build quality is amazing, waterproofing definately helps.

I do miss not having a flipy screen, but so far i cant really think of a time when i really needed it... as far as performance goes, they are the same, other than focusing, shutter speed and the manual audio adjustments... So far I've spent just over 1.5 k, having said that, mine was a refurbished model so was alot cheaper...

Like everyone says, definitely try before u buy! I would definitely recommend the 7d!

Pwracing

• Senior
    • Trole Industries Bike Team
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2012, 22:35 »
i have a 550d and defo think like the review says its a bit plasticky, the 60d moveable screen seems a good idea and would help alot but  i dont think its worth the compromise in weatherproofness, not that the 550d is/if any more weatherproof than the 60d...

7d seems amazing for weatherproof ness but big investment :/ i'll prob be sticking with the 550d for a while and probably invest in a descent lense sooner or later lol

papalazarou

• SDH Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2012, 14:57 »
I own a 7D and one of the most annoying things is not being able to accuratley see what you are doing on a shot due to the camera being on the ground. Sure, you might say, 'i don't mind getting down low to frame up' but believe me, when you are doing this time and time again it can get annoying. The weatherproofing on the 7D is only as important as the lenses screwed onto it. If you have L lenses then you can shoot for a while in a bit of drizzle, but to be honest if it begins to rain, i pack up or i properly seal the camera with a weatherproof bag!!

Don't let the weatherproofing of the 7D fool you, it is nowhere near as good as on the Canon 1D series, it is literally just a bit of rubber here and there it wont protect your camera froma  downpour, and certainly not if you have non-L series glass crewed onto it.

The 60D and 7D are alsmost identical in terms of functionality, if you're on a budget, the 60D is a no brainer. If having the Canon strap round your neck that says 7D is more importnant to you, then get by all means go for a 7D it won't dissapoint.

geebeebee

• Filming and riding, yow!
    • Like us on Facebook for more steezy action!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2012, 15:41 »
I'm in a similar quandry. Apparently the filming is the same on the 550, 600 that it is on the 60D, so you're not going to get anything out of it that way so  just invest in good quality lenses instead!

True about the weather proofing but if you look at Brad Walton's video from the Shore (http://www.pinkbike.com/video/236939/#top) it's pretty wet out there and he does it with a 60D and uses a mini-brolly (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/457503-REG/Omega_POP200_Probrella_Portable_Protective_Umbrella.html)

Rumour anyway is that there is a Canon 5D MkIII with better video capabilities coming out soooooon!

owendude

« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2012, 16:25 »
My only personal reservation about the 60D is the lack of the weather proofing you get in the 7D.

Not True, the 60D has pretty much identical weatherproofing to the 7D. Look here for a detailed diagram: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=36828375

I took mine out at Nant G BDS last year. Raining all day race day. Not a problem. Same when I was working at Leeds Festival, no issues, just got to be careful as most lenses are not weatherproof.

© 2013 Ride It Out