Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how many of you wear neck braces?  (Read 3161 times)

betty_swollox

• Junior
Re: how many of you wear neck braces?
« Reply #15 on: Jul 04, 2012, 12:34 »
I'm in no way nails, I personally just think they're junk - well intentioned and well marketed but junk.

What I wrote above pretty much sums up the "debate" from the non-believer side if you take it to it's ultimate conclusion.  I am a non believer and I'll probably dribble an apology to everyone I offend when I'm proven wrong. Not that you could prove it either way.

Sorry for prolonging the pointless argument.  ::)

it's great that you have an opinion, but there was no reason to call people retards because they have one lol.

I just wanted to see what people thought the pro's and con's were.
Transition TR450
Felt Compulsion 2
Cannondale Sl2 29er

Dangerous Dave

• Senior
  • Meh
« Reply #16 on: Jul 04, 2012, 12:45 »
All of the reasons for the doubts have already been expressed above so I'm not going to re hash them.

Leatt has responded,and are now running a series of videos on youtube discussing the subject.

First episode here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fJ5NvChWbpo

The issue for me is the cost - I already need a new helmet so that comes first before buying into a neckbrace.

It's really down to you to make an informed decision based on the risks associated with/with not wearing one and, to a certain extent, how it will affect your riding; will it restrict movement (try before you buy) and will you feel safer/ride better with one etc.

There are a lot of idiots on both sides of the arguement, some which seem to have been totally suckered into the marketing and unwilling to accept there is a chance neckbracse may cause injury or be unproven, whilst others slag off anyone that wears one for being pussies.

Stuie Warriors

« Reply #17 on: Jul 04, 2012, 13:06 »
I've bought 1 recently due to my habit of going head 1st over the bars and my apparently belief that holding onto the bars till the last second will help,which only ends in my landing on my head.

I've had a few crashes which I've given myself major whiplash over the years and had 1 or 2 crashes expecting the same since wearing the brace and got up neck pain free.

im 6.3 and i dont even notice it and I imagine being taller makes your neck more vulnerable due to more leverage.

personaly I wouldnt ride without it now but I see why people have doubts but its worked for me

Stu

- Mr M6 -

• Immortal
  • Senior
« Reply #18 on: Jul 04, 2012, 13:23 »
Please don't start this s**t again, some people love them and swear by them and others think that they are b*lls**t.

Good effort pwadjo, thats was a great answer, was it really so hard to simply reccomend that he do a search on the forum... if you dont like the subject, dont comment.

I personally dont use one, but admit that every now and again think about getting one, i do have a friend that is now a Quadriplegic after a cycling accident, and think that had they been available then, would probably have saved him.

I think for those that use them have simply got used to riding with them and put them on without thinking just like they do with theyre full face, and those that dont use them, think theyll just get in the way or have the mindset that theyll never need it, or simply doubt the technology.... the truth is, you just never know how bad that next 'off' is 'gonna be....

Some just cant afford  them.

Better to be safe, than sorry.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2012, 13:29 by - Mr M6 - »

betty_swollox

• Junior
« Reply #19 on: Jul 04, 2012, 13:32 »
Please don't start this s**t again, some people love them and swear by them and others think that they are b*lls**t.

the truth is, you just never know how bad that next 'off' is 'gonna be....

That is the main thing that concerns me.

I have the money at the minute to afford one so I think I will order one today. If it doesn't fit I can send it back.

after all the comments I have read and articles I have looked at, I think it is worth giving one a go.

Like a few people have said, it is personal preference. Some people wear body armour, others don't.

I might feel more confident wearing a neck brace, but I might find it very uncomfortable.

Just gotta wait and see

Cheers to those who gave constructive comments.
Transition TR450
Felt Compulsion 2
Cannondale Sl2 29er

RL9DHRIDER

• Senior
  • Once a pinner, now a weekend warrior
« Reply #20 on: Jul 04, 2012, 14:16 »
Like many here i do not want to fuel the debate, as it has been done to death. BUT... I have ridden one for moto and DH for 3'ish years now. When i was thinking about buying one i had a fast over the bars crash, luckily i managed to 'dive' with my arms out..dislocated both my shoulders doing so (which i've done before). This made me think that if i had landed on my head and not hands/arms would i have really crooked my neck...quite possibly.

I bought a Leatt Adventure right after that (when they were a more reasonable price at around £160). If you think about it, how can it not help? Yes MAY (but hopefully it wont!) cause damage further down the spine, but the critical thing is that these bones are bigger and more resistant to damage than those in the neck, also that if the worst did happen the results are likely to be less severe the further down the back the injury is.

I also find that for MX on really rough tracks its a nice little platform to stop your swede from bouncing about so much!

-Ryan-

« Reply #21 on: Jul 04, 2012, 14:23 »

I have the money at the minute to afford one so I think I will order one today. If it doesn't fit I can send it back.

after all the comments I have read and articles I have looked at, I think it is worth giving one a go.

Like a few people have said, it is personal preference. Some people wear body armour, others don't.

I might feel more confident wearing a neck brace, but I might find it very uncomfortable.

Just gotta wait and see

If you're going to order one and send it back if it doesn't fit, it might be worth getting yourself down to an LBS and try some on, that's if its possible, as I believe a lot all have a different fit on each individual and with each different helmet too. Different models will offer different amounts of adjustability, different shape and different comfort too.

I don't have one myself and it hasn't crossed my mind to use one either.
https://twitter.com/ryan_dicko
Scott Ransom & Scott Voltage

betty_swollox

• Junior
« Reply #22 on: Jul 04, 2012, 14:56 »

Just gotta wait and see

If you're going to order one and send it back if it doesn't fit, it might be worth getting yourself down to an LBS and try some on, that's if its possible, as I believe a lot all have a different fit on each individual and with each different helmet too. Different models will offer different amounts of adjustability, different shape and different comfort too.

Cheers for the advice but as far as I'm aware its pretty much the mx ones that fit differently to the DH ones yeah?

My lbs doesn't have it in stock :(

A shop near me that sells moto stuff has them in stock but just the moto version so its no use to me

Cheers tho mate

I don't have one myself and it hasn't crossed my mind to use one either.
Transition TR450
Felt Compulsion 2
Cannondale Sl2 29er

Orange Matt

• Senior
  • I dont ride an Orange, I just like the colour. DH.
« Reply #23 on: Jul 04, 2012, 19:07 »
Cant afford one, but I don't want one anyway!

People who wear them say "Christ! If I didn't have my neck brace on then I would of broken my neck"

People who don't wear them say "Christ! If I had a neck brace on then I would of broken my shoulder"

You win either way ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2012, 22:37 by Orange Matt »

joshleb

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: Jul 04, 2012, 19:50 »
If I was riding moto properly I would probably get one, but for moto I just ride around my fields, jumping a few hedges and everything, nothing better than a gentle 50ft.

In biking it seems more of an image, along with TLD kits and helmets.

Lots of people have crashes wearing them and think, bloody 'ell if I wasn't wearing my Leatt I would be screwed, but it's amazing what the human body can stand up to.

I'd almost be tempted to spend that money on a gym and get more muscle to absorb the blow with, as muscle is one of the best body armours one can get.

Jersey DH - Uni Plym Cycling - Guernsey DHR

Rob.

• God Like!
« Reply #25 on: Jul 04, 2012, 23:37 »

See what I'm getting at.

betty_swollox

• Junior
« Reply #26 on: Jul 05, 2012, 06:11 »

See what I'm getting at.

I prefer this one lol

Transition TR450
Felt Compulsion 2
Cannondale Sl2 29er

mos-racing

Hairyb

• God Like!
« Reply #28 on: Jul 05, 2012, 10:57 »
It's definitely a question of you making the assessment with the evidence in hand - however the only research you've got to go on is Leatt's, who obviously have a vested interest in making people think their s**t works.

No independent academic research has been done into these devices, and for me personally anecdotal evidence is not enough to convince me that they can't potentially do more harm than good. I want to see real measurements of force applied to the cervical spine with one and without one, tested on a variety of helmets, neck lengths, shoulder widths etc etc. I cannot believe that you can release one of these for in a "one size fits all" manner. I also really dislike everyone's "theories" that they come up with as to how they should work to justify it to themselves - interfering with human biomechanics on a hunch is not really a good idea.

I'm a physics undergrad and wanted to perform part of this research myself for my dissertation (with a view to potentially getting it published), but it doesn't look hopeful as my uni just doesn't have sufficient equipment.

Kanza

• Ride It Out
« Reply #29 on: Jul 06, 2012, 17:56 »
Read in another thread about Aron Gwin stopping wearing one. Something he talked about in a interview, but could not find the interview where it is discussed. If anyone know/has a link, please post would be interested to read why he stopped using one.

Cheers, K

© 2013 Ride It Out