Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shelter bike protection tape - new brand!  (Read 2657 times)

[Rob]

• Ride.io
  • Site Admin
  • God Like!
  • Ride.io
    • Check out the home page
Shelter bike protection tape - new brand!
« on: Jul 15, 2011, 08:29 »
Check out this new tape.  Read the full story on the homepage

http://www.southerndownhill.com/news/press-releases/shelter-bike-protection-tape.html

Change is good! Ride It Out.

identitizack16

• Senior
    • Zack Pollard - For Sale
Re: Shelter bike protection tape - new brand!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2011, 09:08 »
The lightbulb test is pretty mad..

Don't think I'd buy any though....seems like it'll be expensive with all that scientific research that must've gone in.
Shall forever be known as the one who hates paypal!

[Tim]

• Media Team
  • Junior
    • BRKNCK
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2011, 09:41 »
The pricing is as follows:

KIT:
1m x 54mm
£ 23.99

BIKE KIT:
1x Down Tube (340mm x 50mm wide)
1x Chain Stay (275mm x 35mm wide)
1x Top Tube/ Head Tube (80mm x 45mm Deep)
4x Cable patch (35mm ø)
£26.99

ROLL:
5m x 54mm
£ 54.99

It depends how much you value your frame/paintjob.

Dave @ dirtscene

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2011, 12:30 »
His curtains need ironing.

psyick

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2011, 14:48 »
Vid was interesting, if only to learn that normal fluorescent tubes survive hammer attacks better than you'd think...

Betsie

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2011, 22:49 »
The test would have been more complete if they had demonstrated how good Shelter tape is compared to the commonly used helli tape.
Was the shelter tape the whole way around the bulb, as the rear of the bulb seemed to fail when hitting the bracket.

The test results indicate a 230% increase in the force to shatter the bulb, that is great, but my frame is not made out of a light bulb.
I would imagine on a standard alloy frame, it might give you an extra 1% strength to impacts.

Carbon frames tend to come with protectors these days, I would guess that it is less protective than the supplied fenders that come with frames!

For me to buy it for my bike it would require better/more valid testing.
Team Ticket2ridebc.com www.Descent-gear.com

psyick

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2011, 23:31 »
I would imagine on a standard alloy frame, it might give you an extra 1%

Good point that, I'd say the main benefit is protection of the paintwork against scratches and chips, not dents, which helitape does fine already.

No doubt people will buy it anyway but it is way overpriced for what is essentially thick sellotape.

themolland8

• God Like!
    • mhollandservicing
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2011, 23:37 »
I would imagine on a standard alloy frame, it might give you an extra 1%

Good point that, I'd say the main benefit is protection of the paintwork against scratches and chips, not dents, which helitape does fine already.

No doubt people will buy it anyway but it is way overpriced for what is essentially thick sellotape.
Need a 3-4mm thick D3O material strip for the down tube to protect from dents...

Parr

• UK Gravity Enduro
  • MTB Company
  • Senior
  • Ave it!!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2011, 13:35 »
Just missed out on getting this brand, as we used to get it through MSC, used it on team bikes for 3 years, its awesome stuff, apply with a hairdryer.
When you want to sell the bike on just peel off and use thinners, lighter fluid to remove sticky stuff left and bike is like new, it may seem pricey, but it's well woth it

exocet

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2011, 15:39 »
Further testing gripes in addition to the ones already mentioned

1) Neither the light bulb nor the test rig itself were fixed properly, you can see the whole thing move on the larger hammer test. (coincidentally a horrendous example of this on one of the richard hammond's engineering connections programme where the whole impact rig jumps about a foot)

2) Checking the calculations (yes I am that bored at work) I don't like the assumption of constant acceleration due to gravity (as though its just a falling object) or the assumption of two inch "bounce back" of the hammer after impact from which they calculate their impact force. I don't why leaving all the impacts in energy rather than the force conversion would have been  a problem, we would still have been able to see the same 230% increase, even if it is a less familiar unit.

100mphplus

• Immortal
  • Senior
  • Team ticket2ridebc.com / descent-gear.com / Spy Op
« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2011, 15:39 »
Nothing new, 3M have been producing thicker protection tape similar to this for years, it's designed for headlights and car frontal areas that get hammered from flying stones et al.  I've been using it on vulnerable parts of my fork legs for ~ 5 years.
Team www.Ticket2rideBC.com / www.descent-gear.com / Spy Optics
Live the Dream!
For a 5% discount on your Ticket2RideBC holiday, enter the code 'T2R01' on your booking form.

brownie biker

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2011, 20:37 »
Nothing new, 3M have been producing thicker protection tape similar to this for years, it's designed for headlights and car frontal areas that get hammered from flying stones et al.  I've been using it on vulnerable parts of my fork legs for ~ 5 years.
I was thinking about that 3M tape but it's seriously sticky isn't it? My point being that when you come to take it off is their risk of it pulling paint off?

jake-snake

• God Like!
  • Ride hard or hard die trying
« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2011, 21:11 »
If my bike was carbon that stuff would be all over it
aaaaaaaaah

100mphplus

• Immortal
  • Senior
  • Team ticket2ridebc.com / descent-gear.com / Spy Op
« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2011, 12:25 »
[I was thinking about that 3M tape but it's seriously sticky isn't it? My point being that when you come to take it off is their risk of it pulling paint off?

Apart from one particular bike that had crap paint on it, I've never had a problem taking it off on 8+ frames, just peel it off gently rather than ripping it off and then a clean up with thinners.
Team www.Ticket2rideBC.com / www.descent-gear.com / Spy Optics
Live the Dream!
For a 5% discount on your Ticket2RideBC holiday, enter the code 'T2R01' on your booking form.

Orville the duck

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: Jul 20, 2011, 13:31 »
Nothing new, 3M have been producing thicker protection tape similar to this for years, it's designed for headlights and car frontal areas that get hammered from flying stones et al.  I've been using it on vulnerable parts of my fork legs for ~ 5 years.
I was thinking about that 3M tape but it's seriously sticky isn't it? My point being that when you come to take it off is their risk of it pulling paint off?

biketape doesn't leave any residue at all and works amazingly well for about half the price of this shelter stuff

http://www.biketart.com/products/biketape
spent 15 years getting loaded, 15 years till his liver exploded.

© 2013 Ride It Out