Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2010 Giant Glory 65.5 head angle touch too steep?  (Read 4489 times)

Jonny

• Av it!
Hello

Really like the new giant but the geometry is a little off for a race bike.  65.5 is a little close to freeride rig, though I know it's quite popular on some dh rigs.  How are people finding it? I have had a few bikes with a 65 but prefer 64.  The build looks great, Fox 40's for £3600 (sale price not rrp).

From the info it looks like you can't use headtube inserts to change.

Hoping you guys will say it rides great as the package is better than average for the money.

Jonny

-B3N-

Re: 2010 Giant Glory 65.5 head angle touch too steep?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2010, 01:29 »
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2011, 20:18 by [Orge] »

Cloverleaf

• Immortal
  • God Like!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2010, 01:35 »
Another alternative, should you feel the need to change the geometry, is to do this: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Custom-Glory-elka-2010.html

jammie654

• God Like!
  • Ft. Bill is my Local, Hell Yeah!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2010, 01:49 »
Or you could ignore the two suggestions above and learn how to set your bike up properly!

Take a look at Alex E's thread, 63-64 HA with the correct sag and the forks set up correctly. I would take Giants Geo figures with a huge pinch of salt anyway ;)

BTW not a dig at the 2 above :)

graham888

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2010, 09:05 »
Headtube inserts for the Glory should be available soon. Sure i saw them on K9 industries website not too long ago.

jakeireland

• MTB Company
  • Senior
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2010, 09:12 »
Or you could ignore the two suggestions above and learn how to set your bike up properly!

63-64 HA with the correct sag

Thats entering the world of dynamic geometry.....I'd stay away if I were you....

Anyway, who measures head angles with sag?! And probably with a pair of tight bushed 40s meaning the balance won't be as it would be if you were riding it anyway.

But yes, in no uncertain terms, the head angle on the new glory is steep, and could do with reducer cups to make the most of the bike. The wheelbase is pretty short aswell until you reach a large.

Jonny

• Av it!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2010, 09:26 »
Cheers guys, the headset reducers look great.  Anyone got a link to Alex E's thread?  That other guy is right if alex has measured the HA with sag that's not really how we do it in the bike world as you then can't compare it to other bikes who measure without sag.  Obv bags sag different amounts and it also depends on how stiff you like your bike.  So really how stiff you run it depends on how steep she is whilst riding.  Don't like the idea of putting a shorter shock on as giant spent many months getting the shock / travel ratio and leverage ratios correct (I hope).

I think I'll go for a glory now, great spec as I said for the money.

Jonny
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2010, 09:30 by Jonny »

Back Pedal

• Bike finding man of loveliness.
  • Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Moon
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2010, 15:00 »
It's me.

No, it was not measured with sag - it is measured using 'static geometry'.

63.8 to 64 degrees depending on which time I measured it.

It's also not built with 'sticky bushed 40's' but with instead well bedded in Boxxer.

http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/index.php/topic,221815.0.html

In fact, whilst I'm replying (something I dont do very often anymore) I might as well clear up some crap about this bike.

Sunday has a head angle of 65 degrees and a wheel base of (for M frame) 45.25 inches. The new 2010 Glory in M has a wheel base (listed from Giants geo figures) of 45.5 inches. A whole .25 of an inch LONGER than a Sunday. Okay, if you think the sunday is short, then so is the Giant. But comparatively speaking there is nothing short, out of the ordinary or shitty about the Glory. As mentioned above, the HA of the Sunday is 65 (list) and Glory 65.5 (list). Take both measurements with a pinch of salt.

If people have ridden this bike then I full accept their opinions. By ridden I mean on a proper track - somewhere in France, maybe a steep track in Wales, Fort William - anywhere other than Rogate, Aston and god knows where else flat.

I live in France - Morzine to be exact. I've been riding this bike on tracks I've ridden on the same bike for the last three years at the same speed, if not faster than before. There is nothing quirky about the Glory. My previous bike had a static HA of 65 degrees and people never once said it looked steep.

Some of my mates have the new Demo 8. They aren't suddenly quicker than me because the listed HA of their bikes is 1 degree slacker than mine.

I appreciate people like to chat and gossip and stuff but there is no point stating opinion as FACT. I hope everything I've written is fact, and if something isn't I will quite happily back-track and eat my words.

I am however interested to try the reducer cups, and let's be honest, they will probably help the frame to be a more Champery eating than anything else. There is nothing wrong with it as it is - Geo is fine, ride is brilliant and value is extraordinary.

Edit 2:

Before I forget - I am not sticking up for my purchase. If I was doing that my argument would be something along the lines of:

Shutup wateva u dun no anytin abut beiks n dat lol cuz i iz de kwikest in de ulps.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2010, 15:14 by Alex E »
www.rideon.co.uk www.slikgraphics.com Team Ride-on/Slik Graphics

Jonny

• Av it!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2010, 16:42 »
Ha faire enough mate, I did like my sunday at 65 but rode my mates orange with a 64 and loved it a lot more.  But as you say you don't know how accurate the listed measurements are.  I think I'm pretty much sold on the glory, sounds like you love yours.  I'll probably ride it std for a while and see if the aftermarket headset inserts are needed.

Cheers for the info

Jonny

jammie654

• God Like!
  • Ft. Bill is my Local, Hell Yeah!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2010, 17:25 »

63-64 HA with the correct sag

Thats entering the world of dynamic geometry.....I'd stay away if I were you....

Anyway, who measures head angles with sag?! And probably with a pair of tight bushed 40s meaning the balance won't be as it would be if you were riding it anyway.

But yes, in no uncertain terms, the head angle on the new glory is steep, and could do with reducer cups to make the most of the bike. The wheelbase is pretty short aswell until you reach a large.

Sorry i worded that wrong, should of been 63-64 with the forks set up correctly then factor int he sag as well :0

Alex, some very good info there! better not say that on RM or you will be the victim of a witch hunt ::)

sastusbulbas

« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2010, 23:10 »
Having had a little play on the Glory I have to say I found it a little more Trail than DH feeling, as much probably to do with weight but the head angle was also affecting things. As stock there is little I would bother changing, stem, post and tyres I guess.

As for adjusting the head angle, simple things like a 2.3 rear/2.5 front with tall upper crown may help the placebo effect of feeling a little slacker. Can you get reducer cups suitable for the 1.5 bottom with 1.25 upper headset of the Glory?

Mutterz

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2010, 23:38 »
you can in around 3 weeks.

Pat @ Ison

• Ison-Distribution
  • MTB Company
  • Senior
    • www.patcj.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2010, 12:42 »
Before I forget - I am not sticking up for my purchase. If I was doing that my argument would be something along the lines of:

Shutup wateva u dun no anytin abut beiks n dat lol cuz i iz de kwikest in de ulps.

This is why I love Alex Evans  :D

Pat

xiphon

• Immortal
  • God Like!
  • A southerner oop north!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2010, 18:34 »
I have no idea what my bike's head angle is - just adjusted the sliding shock mount until it felt alright!

Just get out and ride!
I love citrus fruit!

Back Pedal

• Bike finding man of loveliness.
  • Immortal
  • God Like!
  • Moon
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2010, 09:47 »

This is why I love Alex Evans  :D

Pat

Thanks Pat. You going to come on any French holidays this summer? If you do I promise not to case any road jumps... haha.
www.rideon.co.uk www.slikgraphics.com Team Ride-on/Slik Graphics

© 2013 Ride It Out